1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a sphere

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere with radius R has a spherically symmetric charge density that varies as 1/r. What is the electric field outside and inside the sphere?

2. Relevant equations
    E=kQ/r^2, ε=permitivity of free space, Q=total charge, ρ=charge density, dτ=infinitesimal volume

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the case (outside), due to the concept that we can treat the sphere as a point charge, E = (1/4*pi*e)(Q/r^2).

For the case (inside), by using a Gaussian surface, we have E (4πr^2) = Q/ε. By evaluating Q = ∫ ρ dτ. I got E = (R^2)/(2εr^2).

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see them matching up at r = R

Your inside case solution description isn't detailed enough for me to tell you where you derail.
    And your problem description has holes in it. Is Q the total charge on the sphere? Is it a given ? What does that mean for the enclosed charge when r < R ?

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3
    Sorry, there was a typo, it should be E(4πr^2) = Q/ε and Q is the total charge. What I've done for the inside is, given ∫E⋅da = Q/ε, we have E(4πr^2) = Q/ε. But Q=∫ρ dτ and ρ=1/r. So Q=∫ dτ/r. Also, dτ= r^2 sinθ dr dθ d∅ is the change of the volume in spherical coordinates. So, Q=∫ r sinθ dr dθ d∅. 0≤r≤R, 0≤θ≤π, 0≤∅≤ 2π. By integration, I got Q = (4πR^2)/2. Thus, I got E = (R^2)/ 2εr^2.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aha! Check your integration bounds for the contained charge when r < R ! Contained charge as a function of r is not a constant ! You confuse yourself by using the symbol Q both for the total charge and also for contained charge as a function of r...

6. Oct 6, 2015 #5
    Oh! So to rephrase, E(4 π r'^2) = Qenc/ε with Qenc as the enclosed charge in the gaussian surface. Qenc= ∫ r sinθ dr dθ d∅. 0≤r≤r', 0≤θ≤π, 0≤∅≤ 2π. Qenc = (4 π r'^2)/2. But this will cancel the r'. E(4 π r'^2) = (4 π r'^2)/2ε.

7. Oct 6, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So nice it doesn't diverge for r to 0, and that now it matches at r = R !

8. Oct 6, 2015 #7
    I've done everything over and over, If I integrate, the two r' really cancel, is there something wrong here? I'm confused.

9. Oct 6, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's the right answer.

10. Oct 6, 2015 #9
    What do you mean right? But that will mean the electric field is not varying as we go from r=0 to r=r'. How is that?

11. Oct 6, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means area and charge contained grow with the same power of r . In another example (number 4 here) charge grows with r3 and area with r2, so E grows with r1

12. Oct 6, 2015 #11
    Thank you so much!!! That is kinda subtle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted