Calculating Electric Field Strength Between Two Point Charges

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field strength at the midpoint between a +7.5 nC point charge and a -2.0 nC point charge that are 3.0 cm apart. The formula for electric force, F = kq/r^2, is given and q is explained as a point charge. The speaker also mentions paying attention to the signs of each q. When asked for the exact way to solve the problem, the expert declines and reminds the speaker about the rules.
jokester4u
A +7.5 nC point charge and a -2.0 point charge are 3.0 cm apart. What is the electric field strength at the midpoint between the two charges?

just give me the formula ?

Physics news on Phys.org
whts is q ? and how do i find q from the question ?

jokester4u said:
whts is q ? and how do i find q from the question ?

q is a point charge. Your problem gives two of them. r is the distance from q to the midpoint. Pay attention to the signs of each q.

can you tell me the exact way to solve it ?

jokester4u said:
can you tell me the exact way to solve it ?

We're not allowed to do that.

Please reflect on what I said so far.

What is electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a particular point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is electric field intensity calculated?

The electric field intensity at a point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a positive test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the unit of electric field intensity?

The unit of electric field intensity is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the cgs system, it is measured in dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

How does distance affect electric field intensity?

According to Coulomb's Law, electric field intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as distance increases, electric field intensity decreases.

What is the significance of electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with one another. It is also essential in the design and functioning of many electrical devices and technologies.