Electric Field Outside a Uniformly Charged Spherical Shell

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the electric field outside a spherical shell of uniform charge density is the same as the field due to the total charge on the shell located at the center. The participants mention using only Coulomb's Law and integrating to find the electric field. It is also suggested to compute the potential and then use ∇V to find the electric field. The final conclusion is that this is a difficult question if Gauss's Law cannot be used.
azizlwl

Homework Statement

Show that the electric field E outside a spherical shell of uniform charge density ρs is the same as due to the total charge on the shell located at the centre.

Homework Equations

Using only Coulomb's Law
E=Q/4πε0 ar

The Attempt at a Solution

If i assumed it as circular disc, ρ will increase indefinitely as radius decreases.
Many examples shown proof using Gauss's Law but this is a question from first chapter on Coulomb Forces and Electric Field Intensity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very difficult to do if you can't use Gauss's law! Hope you're good at integration ...

Thanks. I guess it won't be so difficult since it is question no# 10. I've done the rest till no #20.
From notes:
The force field in the region of isolated of charge Q is spherically symmetric.

Is by proving the E at the surface equal to E if Q is placed at the center, then we prove the given statement?

azizlwl said:
The force field in the region of isolated of charge Q is spherically symmetric.
Is by proving the E at the surface equal to E if Q is placed at the center, then we prove the given statement?
Yes. If you can determine E at the surface without Gauss then I agree that constitutes proof.

Likes azizlwl
Finally i got it. Using Mathematica for the integral part.

dE= dQ/4πε0 aR/R2
dQ=ρr2Sinθ dθ dΦ
R2=z2+r2-2rzCosθ - Using Cosine Law
Zaz=(z-rCosθ)az - both x and y-axis cancel.

E=∫ ∫ ρr2Sinθ dθ dΦ (z-rCos) /(4πε0 az/R3/2
θ - 0 to π
Φ-0 to 2π
E=ρ2πr2/4πε0∫Sinθ(z-rCosθ)/(r2+z2-2zrcosθ)3/2

Using Mathematica the integral , I
I=-(r-z)/z2 Ir-zI + (r+z)/z2Ir+zI
If z<r, I=0 then E=0 , inside the shell.
If z>r, I=2/z2 then E=ρ4πr2/4πε0z2=Q/4πε0 az/z2

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Finally i got it. Using Mathematica for the integral part.

dE= dQ/4πε0 aR/R2
dQ=ρr2Sinθ dθ dΦ
R2=z2+r2-2rzCosθ - Using Cosine Law
Zaz=(z-rCosθ)az - both x and y-axis cancel.

E=∫ ∫ ρr2Sinθ dθ dΦ (z-rCos) /(4πε0 az/R3/2
θ - 0 to π
Φ-0 to 2π
E=ρ2πr2/4πε0∫Sinθ(z-rCosθ)/(r2+z2-2zrcosθ)3/2

Using Mathematica the integral , I
I=-(r-z)/z2 Ir-zI + (r+z)/z2Ir+zI
If z<r, I=0 then E=0 , inside the shell.
If z>r, I=2/z2 then E=ρ4πr2/4πε0z2=Q/4πε0 az/z2
This is very impressive! Fine work.
I was wondering if it would have been a bit easier to compute the potential, then E = -∇V. Might try it myself. But your work looks fine, congrats!

Likes azizlwl
rude man said:
This is very impressive! Fine work.
I was wondering if it would have been a bit easier to compute the potential, then E = -∇V. Might try it myself. But your work looks fine, congrats!
Thank you. Just started reading electromagnetic with Coulombs law.

What is electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity, also known as electric field strength, is a physical quantity that describes the strength of an electric field at any given point. It is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric field intensity calculated?

Electric field intensity is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge in an electric field by the magnitude of the test charge. It can also be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the source charge, and r is the distance between the source charge and the point where the electric field is being measured.

What factors affect electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the source charge, as well as the distance between the source charge and the point where the electric field is being measured. It is also affected by the medium through which the electric field is passing, as different materials have different permittivity values.

How does electric field intensity relate to electric potential?

Electric field intensity is directly related to electric potential. In fact, electric field intensity is defined as the negative gradient of electric potential, meaning that the direction of the electric field is always pointing in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

What are some real-world applications of electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is important in a wide range of applications, including the design of electronic circuits, the behavior of lightning and thunderstorms, and the functioning of medical devices such as MRI machines. It is also used in the study of plasma physics and the behavior of charged particles in space.