1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Line

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electrical force on a small positive charge q when it is placed in an electric field is given by F(r) = qE(r).

Electric field is tangent at every point on a line of force. An analytical expression to plot electric field lines is given by E x dl = 0

Derive the following simplified analytical expression for electric field lines in, Cartesian, Cylindrical and Spherical coordinate systems

dx/Ex = dy/Ey = dz/Ez
    2. Relevant equations
    A X B = 0 , Parallel

3. The attempt at a solution
    If you equate Ex = dx , Ey= dy, Ez=dz the cross products for all coordinate systems will = 0 . However I
    really do not feel I have a clear grasp of what I am asked to show here. There is a chapter in our book "Engineering Electromagnetics" where plotting field lines it equates E to a differential length to plot the field lines, this is where I figured I could do this. Also F(r) = q E(r) and F is in the direction of E. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2
    E x dl = 0 implies E and dl are colinear. So try writing dl as a scaled version of E. For instance, dl=wE where w is a scaling factor ensuring they have the same length. If you expand in vector components I think you'll find the necessary relation.

BTW, out of interest, which "Engineering Electromagnetics" book is this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted