Electric field lines of a sphere in a uniform electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing electric field lines of a sphere in a uniform electric field using LaTeX/TikZ. The equation for the field lines in polar coordinates is shown, but there is confusion about the figure of eight inside the sphere and the reason for drawing parallel lines inside. The problem involves a dielectric sphere with different susceptibilities, resulting in a surface charge distribution and a non-uniform field inside the sphere.
sergiokapone
I need to draw electric field lines of sphere in uniform electric field with LaTeX/TikZ. Can anyone show me equation of field lines in polar coordinates?
ioxa1.gif

Attachments

• ioxa1.gif
    ioxa1.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,391
Physics news on Phys.org
sergiokapone said:
I need to draw electric field lines of sphere in uniform electric field with LaTeX/TikZ. Can anyone show me equation of field lines in polar coordinates?
View attachment 216702
Is this an uncharged conducting sphere? If so, why the field lines inside it, and what direction should the field lines be at the external surface?

Is the uncharged dielectric sphere. I found some equation
##r = \frac{k - \sin\phi}{E_0\sin\phi}## and plot the lines:
Code:
    \begin{tikzpicture}
        \clip(-4,-3) rectangle (4,3);
        \draw[red] (-4,0) -- (4,0);
        \foreach \i in {0,0.5,...,3} {
        \draw [thick, color=red, domain=0.05:3.1, samples=200, smooth]
        plot (xy polar cs:angle=\x r, radius={  (\i-sin(\x r))/(1*sin(\x r))  });
        \draw [thick, color=red, domain=0.05:3.1, samples=200, smooth]
        plot (xy polar cs:angle=\x r, radius={  (-\i+sin(\x r))/(1*sin(\x r))  });
        }
        \fill[white, draw=blue] (0,0) circle (1);
\end{tikzpicture}

I get

debeacb696dea58a06b5e47f53b4307e.png

Attachments

• debeacb696dea58a06b5e47f53b4307e.png
    debeacb696dea58a06b5e47f53b4307e.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,738
Ok, so it is not a conductor. Looks reasonable, except that I am not sure what the figure of eight inside the sphere represents, or what the field lines are doing there.

haruspex said:
that I am not sure what the figure of eight inside the sphere represents, or what the field lines are doing there.

I am also not sure, but the nubber 8 inside is the sequence of eqution.

Last edited:
sergiokapone said:
I am also not sure, but the nubber 8 inside is the sequence of eqution.
But... the same equation would not apply inside, would it?

haruspex said:
But... the same equation would not apply inside, would it?
Yes, the same equation would not apply inside. For lines inside I just draw series of parallel lines.
edfed6d83c30d4f1419a98c14242345d.png

Attachments

• edfed6d83c30d4f1419a98c14242345d.png
    edfed6d83c30d4f1419a98c14242345d.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,209
sergiokapone said:
Yes, the same equation would not apply inside. For lines inside I just draw series of parallel lines.
View attachment 216839
What is the basis for making them parallel inside? Surely those would be distorted by what is going on outside. There is a symmetry here.

Parallel lines inside is because fileld inside sphere (as well as for every "ellipsoid-like" body) is uniform. It uniform because charge distribution around surface is ##\sigma \propto \cos\phi##. Such distribution governing by boundary conditions and supperppsition of external uniform field and dipole field of sphere.

Last edited:
sergiokapone said:
Parallel lines inside is because fileld inside sphere (as well as for every "ellipsoid-like" body) is uniform. It uniform because charge distribution around surface is ##\sigma \propto \cos\phi##. Such distribution governing by boundary conditions and supperppsition of external uniform field and dipole field of sphere.
You still have not clearly specified the problem. You have explained that the sphere contains dielectric material, but why should there be a surface charge as you describe? If it is a conductor there is no field inside; if an insulator why should there be a surface charge distribution?
Or maybe I am just out of my depth.

Oh, sorry I forgetting to say, the dielectric sphere has the susceptibility ##\epsilon_2## differ from susceptibility of media ##\epsilon_1##, thus there is associated charges on the sphere (due to polarization)

##\sigma' = \frac{3}{4\pi} \frac{\epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2}{\epsilon_1 + 2\epsilon_2} \frac{\vec E_0\vec{r}}{R}.##

Of course, if ##\epsilon_2 =\epsilon_1## there is no charges around sphere.
The field inside sphere is ##E =\frac{3\epsilon_2}{\epsilon_2 + 2\epsilon_1}E_0##

Last edited:

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of an electric field. They show the path a positive test charge would follow if placed in the electric field.

2. How are electric field lines drawn?

Electric field lines are drawn by placing a series of arrows in a region of space. The direction of the arrows shows the direction of the electric field, and the length of the arrows represents the strength of the electric field. The arrows are drawn closer together in regions where the electric field is stronger.

3. How does a sphere in a uniform electric field affect the electric field lines?

When a sphere is placed in a uniform electric field, the electric field lines will curve around the sphere. This is because the sphere causes a distortion in the electric field, creating a region of stronger electric field on one side of the sphere and a weaker electric field on the other side.

4. Why are electric field lines closer together near the sphere?

Electric field lines are closer together near the sphere because the electric field is stronger in that region. This is due to the fact that the sphere causes a distortion in the electric field, resulting in a higher concentration of electric field lines.

5. What does the spacing of electric field lines indicate?

The spacing of electric field lines indicates the strength of the electric field. The closer together the lines are, the stronger the electric field is in that region. Conversely, the farther apart the lines are, the weaker the electric field is in that region.