Examples of Electric Field Lines

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good site to learn how to draw Electric Field lines and seeking help with drawing the lines for a positively charged hollow sphere and a conducting cube. One person suggests using imageshack to upload drawings and another person is unsure about how to draw the inside lines correctly.
AznBoi
Does anyone know a good site where they show you examples of how to draw Electic Field lines?

Problem relating to it:
a) sketch the electirc field pattern set up by a positively charged hollow sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, really need some help. I've tried googling but in vain. How can I post my pictures on here? Do I use paint and then upload it to imageshack?

I think no one replied becuase you have no picture (attempt). What you could do is like you said, draw it in paint then upload it to imageshack or to PF as an attachment.

Alright, I've never used imageshack before lol so I'm going to try it. =]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are imaginary lines used to represent the direction and strength of an electric field. They show the path a positive test charge would take when placed in an electric field.

2. How are electric field lines drawn?

Electric field lines are drawn by placing a positive test charge in the electric field and drawing a line tangent to the direction of the electric field at various points around the charge. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point.

3. What do the patterns of electric field lines indicate?

The patterns of electric field lines indicate the direction and strength of the electric field. Straight lines indicate a uniform electric field, while curved lines indicate a non-uniform electric field. The density of the lines also represents the strength of the electric field, with closer lines indicating a stronger field.

4. Can electric field lines intersect?

No, electric field lines cannot intersect. This is because the electric field at any given point has a unique direction and strength, and if two lines were to intersect, it would mean that the electric field at that point has two different directions and strengths, which is not possible.

5. How can electric field lines be used to calculate electric field strength?

The density of the electric field lines can be used to calculate the electric field strength. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point. The exact strength can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force on a test charge and q is the magnitude of the test charge.