1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field lines

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Can we have E and B field lines from 2 different sources cross. I don't think we can because then a charged particle traveling through the field would have 2 possible paths after reaching the intersection point. But then what if we have induced E fields and other sources. But IM guessing that the overall total field will reach equilibrium and the field lines will have a nice flow.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why would it have 2 possible paths?

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    If I had 2 E field lines cross at say right angles, when I draw the field lines, If an electron came to this crossing how would it know which way to go. Which E field line would it follow if there were 2 branching out?

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Ah... I misread your post. I thought you were asking about E and B lines crossing each other.

If you have multiple sources of E field, the resultant field will not have lines crossing.

6. Dec 29, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial word there being "resultant"- the sum of the vector fields of the different forces, not the field lines of the separate sources themselves. Those may well cross.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook