1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Lines

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 [itex]\frac{N}{C}[/itex] passes through a circle of radius 12 cm. What is the electric flux through the circle when its face is perpendicular to the field lines.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only problem with this question is picturing the field lines. I initially thought that "perpendicular" meant 90°.

I tried to apply that angle to the flux formula, but I need to picture this surface? I'd appreciate an explanation of the EF and field lines. Or if there is a website that I can check that explains and shows how electric fields and field lines are shown.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The surface is a disk. And yes, perpendicular means 90 degrees. The E field is normal to the surface. What's the definition of 'flux'? You should be able to look that up. There aren't very many easier flux questions around.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook