Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field, mathematical problem

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1
    hi :) it's me again. This is my second question in a few days, w/o being able to help anyone else, hope to be not too much pretentious :biggrin:

my doubt this time regards the mathematical passage underneath the formula (23) of this speech:

disregard the text part because i don't think it's helpful in an english forum :biggrin: it just introduces the electric field and its properties.
    The fact is I cannot understand the derivation done from the E formula, i thought that the thing to do was just derivating r (that, considering an orthogonal system with the origin in the (x0,y0,z0) point, is (x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2) because i had to consider the rest as costant so out of the derivation but it isn't it.. any help? thanks :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    Could you explain your problem a little more? The vector r goes from the co-ordinates of the point charge to the the point (x,y,z) where you want to find the electric field. It has magnitude [tex] |r| = \sqrt{\left( x - x_0 \right) + \left( y - y_0 \right) + \left( z - z_0 \right)} [/tex]. So if we divide r by this number, we have the vector of unit length pointing from the point charge to (x,y,z). We multiply this by the magnitude of the field, [tex] \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} [/tex] so that the field intensity is [tex] \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 \r^2 \r } = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{\left[ \left( x - x_0 \right)^2 + \left( y - y_0 \right)^2 + \left( z - z_0 \right) \right]^{ \frac{3}{2} }} [/tex].
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  4. Oct 5, 2004 #3
    why you pass from r^2 to r^3 ? :uhh:
  5. Oct 5, 2004 #4
    Multiply the magnitude of the field by the vector per unit length, which is [tex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]. You get a [tex] r^3[/tex] at the bottom and the [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] at the top.

So, you get [tex] E = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}[/tex]

Then, you just substitute in for r :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?