Electric field, mathematical problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mathematical passage involving the formula (23) in a speech about the electric field. The person is having trouble understanding the derivation and the use of the vector r in the formula. The explanation given is that r represents the distance from the point charge to the point (x,y,z) and is divided by the magnitude of the field to get the unit vector. The final formula is E = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}.
agolkar
hi :) it's me again. This is my second question in a few days, w/o being able to help anyone else, hope to be not too much pretentious :biggrin:

my doubt this time regards the mathematical passage underneath the formula (23) of this speech:

http://scarface.ngi.it/elet.jpg

disregard the text part because i don't think it's helpful in an english forum :biggrin: it just introduces the electric field and its properties.
The fact is I cannot understand the derivation done from the E formula, i thought that the thing to do was just derivating r (that, considering an orthogonal system with the origin in the (x0,y0,z0) point, is (x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2) because i had to consider the rest as costant so out of the derivation but it isn't it.. any help? thanks :smile:
alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain your problem a little more? The vector r goes from the co-ordinates of the point charge to the the point (x,y,z) where you want to find the electric field. It has magnitude [tex] |r| = \sqrt{\left( x - x_0 \right) + \left( y - y_0 \right) + \left( z - z_0 \right)} [/tex]. So if we divide r by this number, we have the vector of unit length pointing from the point charge to (x,y,z). We multiply this by the magnitude of the field, [tex] \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} [/tex] so that the field intensity is [tex] \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 \r^2 \r } = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{\left[ \left( x - x_0 \right)^2 + \left( y - y_0 \right)^2 + \left( z - z_0 \right) \right]^{ \frac{3}{2} }} [/tex].

Last edited:
why you pass from r^2 to r^3 ? :uhh:

Multiply the magnitude of the field by the vector per unit length, which is [tex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]. You get a [tex] r^3[/tex] at the bottom and the [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] at the top.

So, you get [tex] E = \frac{q \vec{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}[/tex]

Then, you just substitute in for r :smile:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or by an external electric field. It is represented by a vector field, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field mathematically represented?

The electric field is mathematically represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the charged particle, and q is the magnitude of the charge of the particle. It can also be represented by the vector equation E = F/q, where the electric field is a vector quantity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the force per unit charge that a charged particle experiences in an electric field.

4. How is the strength of an electric field determined?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the amount of charge of the source creating the field and the distance from the source. The strength decreases as the distance from the source increases.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the motion of charged particles in medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also used in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, and manufacturing.