Design a Handheld Electric Field Meter with Arduino

In summary, creating a handheld electric field meter using an Arduino is possible and there are various designs available online. Using two antennas and measuring the voltage difference is a common method, and the design chosen can affect accuracy and readout. It's important to test and double check connections when trying out different designs.
Jp43
Hello, I want to create a handheld electric field meter to measure the strength at a certain point with an arduino. I have seen various ideas online but I am still not sure what kind of design to use.

Is the right concept to use two antennas. Measure the voltage on each and then calculate the difference to get so many v/m? If so do I have to run a small current through the plates at a certain voltage? I am just not quite sure where to go with this.
I would like to be able to get a relatively accurate readout onto my arduino. Does the design I chose affect this or are they all the same? I really appreciate any guidance with this.

I did find a design online (using the op amp) which I tried out. I supplied it with the 5v but I got 2.7 out and had no idea whether I was actually measuring electric field or something else.
upload_2018-10-19_15-21-24.gif

Thanks, John

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_15-21-24.gif
    upload_2018-10-19_15-21-24.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello John,

Creating a handheld electric field meter using an Arduino is definitely possible and there are many different designs and ideas out there. It's great that you are doing your research and trying out different designs.

In terms of using two antennas and measuring the voltage on each to calculate the difference, that is a common method used in electric field meters. However, you do not need to run a small current through the plates at a certain voltage. The voltage difference between the two antennas is enough to calculate the electric field strength.

The design you choose can affect the accuracy and readout on your Arduino. Some designs may be more sensitive or have better noise filtering capabilities, so it's important to choose one that fits your needs. I would suggest looking for designs that have been tested and have good reviews from other users.

Regarding the design you found online using an op amp, it's possible that you may have not connected it correctly or there may be other factors affecting your measurement. It's always a good idea to double check your connections and make sure everything is set up correctly.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is an electric field meter?

An electric field meter is a scientific instrument used to measure the strength and direction of electric fields. It typically consists of a probe, which detects the electric field, and a display, which shows the measurement.

2. How does an electric field meter work?

An electric field meter works by using a probe to detect the electric field and converting this measurement into a readable value. The probe contains a sensor that responds to the strength of the electric field and converts it into an electrical signal. This signal is then amplified and displayed on the meter's screen.

3. What is an Arduino and how is it used in designing an electric field meter?

An Arduino is an open-source microcontroller board that can be programmed to control electronic components. It is commonly used in DIY electronics projects, including designing an electric field meter. In this project, the Arduino is used to control the probe, amplify the signal, and display the measurement on the screen.

4. What are the components needed to build a handheld electric field meter with Arduino?

The components needed for this project include an Arduino board, a probe with a sensor, an LCD display, a power source (such as a battery), and various resistors and capacitors for amplifying and filtering the electric field signal. You may also need a breadboard and jumper wires for connecting the components.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an electric field meter?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using an electric field meter. The probe should not be used in areas with high-voltage electricity, and the meter should be properly calibrated before each use. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when necessary.