1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field (multi choice)

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Charge is distributed uniformly on the surface of a large flat plate. The electric field 2cm from the plate is 30 N/C. The electric field 4cm from the plate is:

A. 120 N/C
    B. 80 N/C
    C. 30 N/C
    D. 15 N/C
    E. 7.5 N/C

2. Relevant equations

E=kq/r^2 (possibly)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the answer I got was E, 7.5 N/C. I got that by using the above equation, plugging in 30 for E and 2 for r and solving for q. Then, I used that same value of q and the new r to solve for E and got 7.5 N/C. Supposedly the correct answer is C, 30 N/C. I don't understand how they got that though. Why is the E field still the same? Shouldn't it be decreasing with the greater distance?

Anyways, I think I might be wrong because I remembered afterwards that E=kq/r^2 is the E field due to a point charge and not a plate....maybe that's why I got the wrong answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think you are on to something.

What is the field of a sheet of charge?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    Oh. I believe it's in here: http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesht.html

So the eq looks like E=charge density/2*epsilon. So this is independent of distance. I see.

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Yep. Thanks for the help!

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Actually you solved it yourself.

The best outcome of all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook