Electric field of a conductor

In summary, the electric field at the surface of the copper plate is 0.1mm below the centre, and it is weak and uniform.
kingwinner
1) A thin, horizontal 0.10m x 0.10m copper plate is charged with 1.0x10^10 electrons. If the electrons are uniformly distributed on the surface, what are the strength and direction of the electric field 0.1mm below the centre of the bottom surface of the plate? (Note: copper is a conductor, so all excess charges will be on the surface)

Should I use the formula E=(eta)/(epsilon_o), or should I use E=(eta)/(2*epsilon_o) ? Why?
[E=electric field, eta=surface charge density]

Second question: to find the surface charge density
eta=Q/Area
Should I substitute 1.0x10^10 for the charge Q or should I substitute 5.0x10^9 (half of the electrons) as the charge Q?

I am really having some problem understanding how to calculate this...can someone help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
well even if it's thin, it still has some thickness. I would consider it to be three dimensional. Does that help?

So should I use the formula for the electric field of a plane of charge: E=eta/(2*epsilon_o) ??

Would there be half (1.0x10^10 / 2) of the electrons on the top surface and half electrons on the bottom surface? How about the sides??

Can someone help me please?

1) is it a plane?
- plane is supposed to be infinite, right?
try to find expression for electric field on the surface of conductor using Gauss's law

kingwinner said:
Should I use the formula E=(eta)/(epsilon_o), or should I use E=(eta)/(2*epsilon_o) ? Why?
[E=electric field, eta=surface charge density]
Your choice. Either approach will work if done correctly.

Since it's a conductor, the charge will distribute itself across all surfaces. So half the charge is on the top surface; half is on the bottom. (Ignore the thin sides!)

You can treat it as a conductor, using the appropriate formula for the field at the surface of a conductor, but be sure to use just the surface charge, which is only half the total charge.

Or you can just treat it as a plane of charge by lumping both surfaces together to get the total charge. (Or you can treat it as two planes of charge and add them up.)

1. What is an electric field of a conductor?

The electric field of a conductor is a region around a conductor where electric forces are exerted on charged particles. It is caused by the presence of electric charges on the surface of the conductor, and it can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the electric field of a conductor calculated?

The electric field of a conductor can be calculated by dividing the electric charge on the surface of the conductor by the permittivity of free space. This results in a uniform electric field inside the conductor and a zero electric field outside the conductor.

3. What is the significance of the electric field inside a conductor?

The electric field inside a conductor is significant because it ensures that the charges on the surface of the conductor are in a state of equilibrium. This means that the electric forces between the charges are balanced, resulting in a zero net force on the charges and a stable system.

4. How does the shape of a conductor affect its electric field?

The shape of a conductor can affect its electric field by changing the distribution of electric charges on its surface. For example, a pointed conductor will have a higher electric field at its tip compared to a rounded conductor, which will have a more evenly distributed electric field on its surface.

5. Can the electric field of a conductor be shielded?

Yes, the electric field of a conductor can be shielded by surrounding it with a conductor that is grounded or has an opposite charge. This will result in the cancellation of the electric field inside the conductor, providing protection from external electric fields. This principle is used in the design of Faraday cages.