1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a cylinder?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a long cylindrical charge distribution of radius R = 13 cm with a uniform charge density of ρ = 18 C/m3. Find the electric field at a distance r = 32 cm from the axis.

2. Relevant equations
    ΦE = EA = qin/ε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem here is that I don't know how to solve it given uniform charge density. I can solve Gauss's law for a cylinder down to E = 2K(λ/r), but as I don't have a length, linear charge density doesn't help me much. So I'm stuck here, and any help would be great.

Thanks!
    Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Apply Gauss' law: when you are a long way from the collection of charge, the field is the same as if all the charge were concentrated.

Do you know how to do it for a line of charge?

Q=ρV = ρAh
    That help?

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    Φ = EA = Qin / ε

Qin = ρV = ρAh

EA = ρAh / ε

E = ρh / ε

Then I get stuck with h...

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The electric field due to a short length dz of the cylinder will be the proportional amount of charge between z and z+dz and inversly proportional to the distance to the length. Use symmetry to cancel the z components and sum all the contributions along the entire cylinder.

You will have an example of an infinite line of charge someplace in your course notes.

Also see:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook