1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a disc

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the field of a disc radius a, uniformly charged with surface charge density σ, for x>>a?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've worked out the equation for the field of a disc:
    ##E = ## ##\frac{\sigma x}{2 \epsilon}## ##\frac{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}-x}{x \sqrt{a^2+x^2}}##

I'm also given a hint, which is that the answer shouldn't be zero. As far as I can tell, if x>>a, this definitely becomes zero! I have looked up my answer for E and it is right. To work out E for x>>a, I essentially ignored all a as irrelevant - is that wrong?

##E = ## ##\frac{\sigma x}{2 \epsilon}## ##\frac{\sqrt{x^2}-x}{x \sqrt{x^2}}## is most definitely zero!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a finite value of ##x## that is much greater than ##a##, ##E## will be small but it won't be zero. You have "over approximated". In this type of problem, you want to keep the lowest order nonzero approximation.

Instead of approximating ##\sqrt{x^2+a^2}## in the numerator as ##\sqrt{x^2}##, find a more accurate approximation in terms of the small quantity ##a/x##.
    Hint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation

You might find it easier to first simplify your expression for E by cancelling some ##x##'s and splitting the fraction involving the square roots into the difference of two fractions. You will then have only one square root to worry about.

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    Simplifying the expression gives

##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}(1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}+1}})##
    And then use a binomial approximation for ##\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}+1}##.
    Thank you, gave the right answer :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted