1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a disk

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am suppose to find an expression for the electric field of a ring.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E =\frac{Kq}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated my results and I reached up to this:

[tex]\frac{Kx\Delta q}{(R^2 + x^2)}^{3/2}[/tex] where R = radius, x = distance, K = constant, q = charge.

And then I looked at my book and noticed they integrated with respect to [tex]\Delta q [/tex] which got me confused because when I calculated the electric field due to a line charge [tex]\Delta q [/tex] it wasn't considered a geometric property. The final expression the book gave [tex]\frac{Kx q}{(R^2 + x^2)}^{3/2}.[/tex]

How come they can integrate with respect to [tex]\Delta q [/tex] in this case but not a line charge?

For example, when I was measuring the electric field of a line of charge I got the expression [tex]\sum \frac{d \Delta Q}{(y_1^2 + d^2)^{3/2}}[/tex] but with that expression I couldn't integrate over [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] because the book said it is not a geometric quantity so I had to replace [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] with [tex]\Delta Q = Q/L \Delta y.[/tex] I don't understand why we had to change it with the field of a line but not with a disk?

The book did the same thing with an electric field of a ring as they did with the line of charge by replacing [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] with the density over the surface area [tex] 2r\pi dr[/tex].

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2
    I suppose you talk about a disk ( on your first statement you talk about "ring"). For the ring you have the field of a line so you multiply your linear density with λdx = λrdθ. Now you have a surface with density σ. So dq = σda = σ(2πrdr).
    Draw a diagram and you will see the validity of that. look the area that represents 2πrdr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted