Why Does Integration Differ Between Electric Fields of a Disk and a Line Charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the electric field of a ring. The person is confused about integrating with respect to a line charge and a disk, and how the book replaces the linear density with surface density for the electric field of a ring. They suggest drawing a diagram to understand the validity of this replacement.
tuggler

Homework Statement

I am suppose to find an expression for the electric field of a ring.

Homework Equations

[tex]E =\frac{Kq}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated my results and I reached up to this:

[tex]\frac{Kx\Delta q}{(R^2 + x^2)}^{3/2}[/tex] where R = radius, x = distance, K = constant, q = charge.

And then I looked at my book and noticed they integrated with respect to [tex]\Delta q [/tex] which got me confused because when I calculated the electric field due to a line charge [tex]\Delta q [/tex] it wasn't considered a geometric property. The final expression the book gave [tex]\frac{Kx q}{(R^2 + x^2)}^{3/2}.[/tex]

How come they can integrate with respect to [tex]\Delta q [/tex] in this case but not a line charge?

For example, when I was measuring the electric field of a line of charge I got the expression [tex]\sum \frac{d \Delta Q}{(y_1^2 + d^2)^{3/2}}[/tex] but with that expression I couldn't integrate over [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] because the book said it is not a geometric quantity so I had to replace [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] with [tex]\Delta Q = Q/L \Delta y.[/tex] I don't understand why we had to change it with the field of a line but not with a disk?

The book did the same thing with an electric field of a ring as they did with the line of charge by replacing [tex]\Delta Q[/tex] with the density over the surface area [tex] 2r\pi dr[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you talk about a disk ( on your first statement you talk about "ring"). For the ring you have the field of a line so you multiply your linear density with λdx = λrdθ. Now you have a surface with density σ. So dq = σda = σ(2πrdr).
Draw a diagram and you will see the validity of that. look the area that represents 2πrdr

1. What is the formula for the electric field of a disk?

The formula for the electric field of a disk is given by E = (σ/2ε0) * (1 - (r/R)^2), where σ is the surface charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r is the distance from the center of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the disk?

The electric field of a disk varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center of the disk. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What does the direction of the electric field depend on for a disk?

The direction of the electric field for a disk depends on the location of the point in relation to the disk. If the point is outside the disk, the electric field points away from the disk. If the point is inside the disk, the electric field points towards the center of the disk.

4. How does the electric field of a disk compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field of a disk is similar to that of a point charge in the sense that it follows an inverse square law and is dependent on the distance from the center. However, the electric field of a disk is not constant like that of a point charge, as it varies with distance from the center of the disk.

5. Can the electric field of a disk be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a disk can be negative. This occurs when the point is inside the disk and the electric field points towards the center of the disk. However, the magnitude of the electric field will always be positive.