1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a filament

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long glass filament carries a charge density [tex]\lambda = - 2.7{\rm{ nC/m}}[/tex] . What is the magnitude of the electric field 0.67 mm from the filament?
    3. The attempt at a solution

Did I do this problem correctly? I'm guessing not because my answer has an extra /m . Shouldn't it simply be N/C?
    [tex]
    E = \left| {\frac{{k\,d\lambda }}{{r^2 }}} \right| = \left| {\frac{{8.99 \times 10^9 {\rm{N}} \cdot \frac{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{2}} }}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} }} \cdot - 2.7{\rm{ nC/m}} \cdot 10^{ - 9} {\rm{C/nC}}}}{{{\rm{0}}{\rm{.67mm}} \cdot 0.001{\rm{m/mm}}}}} \right| = 54000000{\rm{ N/Cm}}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    Isn't the filament a long line of charge? So, the field strength is proportional to 1/r.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically, except isn't E=2*k*lambda/r? I think you missed a '2'. Your equation is for the infinitesimal element of E before it is integrated.

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. Ok, then would it be:
    [tex]E = \left| {\frac{{2k\lambda }}{r}} \right| = \left| {\frac{{2 \cdot 8.99 \times 10^9 {\rm{N}} \cdot \frac{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{2}} }}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} }}\left( { - 2.7{\rm{nC/m}} \cdot 10^{ - 9} {\rm{C/nC}}} \right)}}{{{\rm{0}}{\rm{.67mm}} \cdot 0.001{\rm{m/mm}}}}} \right| = 72000\,{\rm{N/C}}[/tex]
    ?
    Where did E=2k*lambda/r come from? Is this just a standard formula I can use as a starting point, or would I be expected to integrate and come up with this formula?

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
  7. Feb 10, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know it's k*lambda/r. I had to look it up to get the numerical factor of 2. Just looking at the problem statement, it doesn't look like a 'derive the formula' type problem, though the derivation isn't that hard. I would suspect the formula is in your book or notes and you can just use it. Check though.

8. Feb 10, 2008 #7

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I'd like to understand how to do it even if we can start with the formula. Awvvu's link shows how. Stay tuned... I might have questions about that link.

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I though of another way. From our class notes, we did the integration of the same problem, except the filament had a finite length. The formula was [tex]
    {\overrightarrow {E_y } = \frac{{k\lambda L}}{{y^2 \sqrt {1 + \left( {\frac{L}{{2y}}} \right)^2 } }}}
    [/tex]

To convert this to use for an infinite length:

As L approaches infinity, the 1 under the radical becomes insignificant, allowing me to eliminate it and replace [tex]
    \sqrt {\left( {\frac{L}{{2y}}} \right)^2 }
    [/tex] with [tex]{\frac{L}{{2y}}}[/tex].
    . Then my L's cancel leaving me with [tex]\frac{{2k\lambda }}{y}[/tex]

Thanks for checking my work. I probably would have submitted my original attempt if the two of you didn't correct me.

10. Feb 10, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That works fine. Glad you got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?