Electric field of a Hemisphere

In summary, the problem deals with finding the magnitude of the electric field at the centre of curvature of a nonconducting hemisphere with a uniform charge distribution. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, such as considering a spherical shell distribution and using Gauss' law. However, since Gauss' law has not been taught yet, the focus is on setting up an integral to find the electric field using stacked rings of charge. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to derive the formula for the integral and the difficulty of setting it up.
photon_mass
Consider a nonconducting hemisphere of inner radius R, that has a uniform charge distribution of magnitude Q on its interior surface. Find the magnitude of the electric field at C (the centre of curvature of the hemisphere).

we haven't learned GauB's law yet. That is the next chapter.

What i have so far:

Centre of curvature: isn't a circle a special case of ellipse where the distance between the two foci is zero? so C = R?

as far as what to do, i have nothing. first i was going to consider a spherical shell distribution then divide by 2, but E in the centre of a sphere is 0. because this is a PROBLEM and not an EXCERCISE, I'm guessing it should be a lot harder than this.
the best i could come up with was to consider a bunch of stacked rings a distance d from C, where r increases as d -> 0, and then sum the field strengths at d. now I'm a victim of mathematical ineptitude. i know that this is done as an integral, but i don't know how.
and if the integral turns out to be zero, I'm going to be choked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the hemisphere is centered at the origin but lies only in the positive y axis. By symmetry the x and z components will cancel out of the electric field so you're only left with the y force. Gauss' law never helped me out much because a lot of what it shows just becomes obvious over time in doing these problems. Anyway yeah now you have to integrate rings of charge stacked on top of each other in the positive y direction (the bottom ring being the largest). Just use the formula in your book for the integral of that constant charge ring: I doubt the teacher wants to get you bogged down in the math as opposed to the physics.

no integral formula is given. we need to learn ow to get the formula ourselves. this is a problem assignment, not an excersise. excersises are plug and play. problems = formula derivation.
and my trouble is the setting up of the integral.
for the electric field due to a ring of uniform charge i have
E =Kq(z*r /(z^2 + r^2)^3/2), r being radius of the disk. z being the distance from, the disk. call this eqs 1.
i know i need to sum over z from C to zero
i know that r increases as z decreases, and that rmax = C at z=0.
r= C-z eqs 2
substituting 2 into 1 gives:
E = Kq(z(C-z)/((z^2 + (C-z)^2)^3/2) eqs 3
so for the integral i get
dE = [K*dQ*(z(C-z)/((z^2 + (C-z)^2)^3/2)]dz eqs 4
I know i need to integrate from z = C to z = 0.
I don't know what to do with the dQ.
I know that:
dQ = q = charge density*2(Pi)r eqs 5
let s be charge density. substituting 2 into 5, and then 5 into 4 gives:
dE = 2Ks(pi) [z(C-z)^2 /((z^2 + (C-z)^2)^3/2)]dz eqs 6
Is this right?
How am i supposed to integrate this to know if it will work?
this is driving me bonkers.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field of a hemisphere calculated?

The electric field of a hemisphere can be calculated by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the hemisphere, and r is the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a hemisphere?

The strength of the electric field of a hemisphere is affected by the charge of the hemisphere, the distance from the center of the hemisphere, and the medium in which the hemisphere is located. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity can also affect the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the direction of the electric field of a hemisphere?

The direction of the electric field of a hemisphere is always radial, meaning it points outward from the center of the hemisphere. This direction is perpendicular to the surface of the hemisphere at any given point.

5. How does the electric field of a hemisphere differ from that of a full sphere?

The electric field of a hemisphere is only half of that of a full sphere, as only one hemisphere is taken into consideration. Additionally, the direction of the electric field of a full sphere is radial at all points, while the direction of the electric field of a hemisphere changes as the distance from the center of the hemisphere increases.