1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of a Pure Dipole(Math Stuff)

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Working on Griffiths 3.33. I'm supposed to show that the Electric Field of a pure dipole can be written in the following coordinate free form:
    [tex]
    \vec{E}(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [3(\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r})\hat{r} - \vec{p}]
    [/tex]
    Where p is the dipole. I know that the potential is equal to
    [tex]
    V(r,\theta) = \frac{\hat{r} \cdot \vec{p}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}
    [/tex]
    and I tried to take the negative gradient of that, but got lost in the math. If you assume the dipole points along the z-axis you get the solution
    [itex]
    \vec{E}(r,\theta) = \frac{p(2cos \theta \hat{r} + sin \theta \hat{\theta})}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}
    [/itex]
    And I tried to work with that a little to no avail. Any ideas how to solve this beast?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,there's one advice for each part:don't get lost in maths.And use spherical components for the 2 vectors involved in the scalar product of the second...

Daniel.

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    I'm still rather confused....should I calculate the dot product by components or say it equals [tex] pcos \acute{\theta} [/tex] and then try to find some weird relation between theta prime and theta? Or perhaps I'm missing something? Cuz either way I keep getting lost. :yuck:

5. Mar 4, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What primes are u talking about...?There is no prime in your equations.

As for incapacity of differentiation,well,that's simply bad.

Daniel.

6. Mar 4, 2005 #5
    Nevermind I got it...I was trying to use spherical coordinates all the way through instead of the spherical components of the rectangular coordinates

7. Mar 5, 2005 #6
    In such questions, it is almost always good to define your own coordinate systems. Here, the vecotors p, p (cross) r and (p cross (p cross r)) can serve as the ideal coordinate axes since they are mutually perpendicular and of course, you know the component of E along p and along p cross r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook