1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a rod

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can someone tell me if I did this correctly, or if there's an easier way? Thanks!

A uniformly charged rod of length [tex]\ell [/tex] with a charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] lies along the x-axis, with its midpoint at the origin. Find the electric field at a point on the x-axis, with [tex]x > \ell /2[/tex]

The electric field of a differential element is
    [tex]\overrightarrow {dE} = \frac{{kdQ}}{{r^2 }}[/tex]

The charge of a differential element is
    [tex]dQ = \lambda \,dx[/tex]

Let P be a point on the x-axis to the right of the rod.
    [tex]\overrightarrow E = \int\limits_{ - \ell /2}^{\ell /2} {\frac{{k\lambda \,dx}}{{r^2 }}} [/tex]

The distance r from P to a differential element x is P-x
    Pull out the constants.
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \overrightarrow E = k\lambda \int\limits_{ - \ell /2}^{\ell /2} {\frac{{\,1}}{{\left( {P - x} \right)^2 }}dx} \\
    \\
    \overrightarrow E = k\lambda \left[ {\frac{1}{{P - x}}} \right]_{ - \ell /2}^{\ell /2} = k\lambda \left( {\left( {\frac{1}{{P - \ell /2}}} \right) - \left( {\frac{1}{{P - \left( { - \ell /2} \right)}}} \right)} \right),\, - {\rm{\hat i}} \\
    \\
    \overrightarrow E = k\lambda \left( {\left( {\frac{1}{{P - \ell /2}}} \right) - \left( {\frac{1}{{P + \ell /2}}} \right)} \right) \\
    \end{array}[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    IMO, its correct.

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just realized that the answer is in the back of the book. They give:
    [tex]\frac{{k\lambda \ell }}{{x_0^2 - \frac{1}{4}l^2 }}{\rm{\hat i}}[/tex]

Where did I go wrong? I'm guessing that their x0 is what I was calling P. But the answers are not the same. I don't believe they are the same formula just written differently.

Also, the direction given is i-hat. But since the problem never states what the charge of the rod is, how do I know that it is not negative i-hat?

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    Since x > P, then r should be (x - P). I'm able to get the answer without the L in the numerator. Dont know where thats coming from.

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

x > L/2, meaning the point is to the right of the rod. I choose P as the point so x could be my integration variable. So, for example if the rod's length were 10, it would span from x= -5 to 5. And if P was 15, then the distance from P to each element in the rod would be P-x. For example P is 15-5=10 units from the right of the rod.

I just verified using my calculator that my formula and the book's formula are the same. I just made up some numbers and plugged them in: k=12, lambda=13, L=14, P=15

12*13*((1/(15-14/2))-(1/(15+14/2))) = 12.4090909090909
    12*13*14/(15^2-14^2/4) = 12.4090909090909

The answers are the same. So its just a matter of algebra to arrive at their formula from my formula. But I don't know how. I'm wondering if I care. Is their formula any more correct than mine?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?