Electric field of an infinite charged rod

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the electric field of an infinite charged rod using the equation \oint \vec E d \vec A = \frac{Q_{\text {enclosed}}}{\varepsilon _0}. The speaker has difficulty understanding how \oint \vec E d \vec A=E 2 \pi rL, but eventually realizes that E is constant over the cylinder's surface. They also mention that they would have understood this step if it were for an infinite charged plane, where E is constant.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I tried to derive the electric field of an infinite (non conductor and conductor, I believe it is the same) charged rod.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint \vec E d \vec A = \frac{Q_{\text {enclosed}}}{\varepsilon _0}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I could do all, except at the end... when he wrote that [tex]\oint \vec E d \vec A=E 2 \pi rL[/tex]. I understand that [tex]\oint d\vec A = 2\pi rL[/tex], but I don't understand how he could pass the [tex]E[/tex] outside the line integral, as if [tex]E[/tex] was constant. Because it isn't constant, [tex]E[/tex] depends on [tex]r[/tex].

I would have understood this step if we were to derive the electric field due to an infinite charged plane, where [tex]E[/tex] does not depend on the distance between a charged particle and the plane.

Can you explain me why does [tex]\oint \vec E d \vec A=E 2 \pi rL[/tex]?
Thanks in advance!Here's the link : http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ElectricForce/LineChargeDer.html .
(look at the very bottom of the page)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I got it. E is constant over the cylinder' surface!

I understand your confusion about the step where E is taken outside the line integral. This step can be better understood by considering the physical meaning of the integral and the properties of an infinite charged rod.

The integral \oint \vec E d \vec A represents the flux of the electric field through a closed surface. In this case, the closed surface is a circular loop around the charged rod. Now, since we are dealing with an infinite charged rod, the electric field will have the same magnitude and direction at all points along the rod. This means that the electric field is constant along the surface of the loop.

Now, the surface area element d\vec A is perpendicular to the electric field at every point along the loop. This means that the dot product \vec E \cdot d\vec A will always give the same value (E times the area of the loop) regardless of the position on the loop. Therefore, we can take the electric field outside the integral as a constant factor.

In summary, the reason why \oint \vec E d \vec A = E 2 \pi rL is because in the case of an infinite charged rod, the electric field is constant along the surface of the loop and the surface area element is always perpendicular to the electric field. This allows us to take the electric field outside the integral and simply multiply it by the area of the loop.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is an electric field and how is it created?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. This field exerts a force on other charged particles within its range, either attracting or repelling them depending on their charge.

2. How is the electric field of an infinite charged rod calculated?

The electric field of an infinite charged rod can be calculated using the formula E = λ / (2πε0r), where λ is the linear charge density of the rod, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the rod.

3. What is the direction of the electric field around an infinite charged rod?

The electric field around an infinite charged rod is directed radially outward from the rod, perpendicular to its surface.

4. How does the strength of the electric field change as the distance from the rod increases?

As the distance from the rod increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This is because the field spreads out over a larger area as the distance increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of an infinite charged rod?

The electric field of an infinite charged rod has many practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators used to remove pollutants from industrial smokestacks, in electrostatic generators for creating high voltages, and in particle accelerators for scientific research.