1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of ball

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    as seen in the diagram below, ->
    http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5314956645280048530 [Broken]

is a solid ball with a radius of R=5cm and a charge density of [tex]\rho[/tex]=-3[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m3,
    inside this ball, we make a hollow ball shaped space with a radius of R/3 with its centre at 2R/3 from the centre of the big ball.

what is the Electric field at point:

A-on the leftmost point of the hollow
    B-on the top point of the hollow
    C-at the centre of the big ball

---------------------------------------------------
    how do i do this?

i think what i need to do is say that the field is equal to (the field of the original ball) + ( the field of a ball the size of the hollow, with a charge density of -[tex]\rho[/tex] )??

for C i know that the field before is 0 since it is at the centre, how do i continue from there?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    what i did so far is: [tex]E[/tex]=epsilon0
    i took a surface at the radius of the ball and said

[tex]\varphi[/tex]=[tex]\oint[/tex]EdA=EA=E(4[tex]\pi[/tex]R2)

[tex]\varphi[/tex]=Q/[tex]E[/tex]=(V[tex]\rho[/tex])/[tex]E[/tex]=(0.75[tex]\pi[/tex]R3/[tex]E[/tex])

E(4[tex]\pi[/tex]R2)=(0.75[tex]\pi[/tex]R3/[tex]E[/tex])
    E=([tex]\rho[/tex]R)/(3[tex]E[/tex])

now what i will do is subtract the "field" of the imaginary ball from the field of the big ball to get the total

E=E1-E2
    E=([tex]\rho[/tex]R)/(3[tex]E[/tex])-([tex]\rho[/tex]R)/(9[tex]E[/tex])
    and i get

E=(2[tex]\rho[/tex]R)/(9[tex]E[/tex])
    but where is this answer valid for? A,B or C?? is this the field at A since i took the radius of the big ball and found the flux according to that? for the others do i need to do the same using the radius 2R/3 for point B and C and saying the field of the big ball alone at C is 0?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook