Electric field of lead atom

In this case, there is only one body, whose charge is the sum of all the charges of the individual particles. In summary, the electric field at a distance of 1.0x10^-10 m from the nucleus of a lead atom with a charge of 82 protons can be calculated using the equation E= ((9 x10^9) (82) (1.6X10^-19))/ (1.0x10^-10)^2. This is because each proton has a charge of 1.6E-19 coulombs, and the total charge of the nucleus is the sum of all the individual charges.
mimictt

Homework Statement

The nucleus of a lead atom has a charge of 82 protons
a. what are the direction and magnitude of the electric field at 1.0x10^-10 m from the nucleus?

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did E= ((9 x10^9)(1.6X10^-19)^82)/ (1.0x10^-10)^2

but when I checked cramster.com for the answer, it gave me E= ((9 x10^9) (82) (1.6X10^-19))/ (1.0x10^-10)^2

can someone explain to me why it's 82 times (1.6X10^-19) not (1.6X10^-19)^82??

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each proton has a charge of 1.6E-19 coulombs, so 82 of them have a charge of 82*1.6E-19 coulombs. Why do you think it should be (1.6E-19)^82?

phyzguy said:
Each proton has a charge of 1.6E-19 coulombs, so 82 of them have a charge of 82*1.6E-19 coulombs. Why do you think it should be (1.6E-19)^82?

well because I thought that if you have to calculate the force of two protons/electrons then you would have to multiply Q1 x Q2 and since they both have the same charge---> Q^2

this is how i got (1.6E-19)^82 because i thought that there are 82 protons with the same charge...

No! you multiply the total charges in the two bodies.

The reason for the difference in the two solutions is due to the fact that the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this case, the direction of the electric field at a distance of 1.0x10^-10 m from the nucleus is determined by the charge of the nucleus, which is positive due to the 82 protons. This means that the electric field points away from the nucleus in all directions.

To calculate the magnitude of the electric field, we use the equation E=Kq/r^2. However, since the electric field is pointing away from the nucleus, we need to take into account the direction of the electric field when calculating the magnitude. This is why we use the charge of the nucleus (82) instead of the charge of a single proton (1.6x10^-19) in the equation. The charge of the nucleus represents the total charge of all 82 protons, which gives us the correct magnitude of the electric field.

In summary, the correct solution is E= ((9 x10^9) (82) (1.6X10^-19))/ (1.0x10^-10)^2, taking into account the direction of the electric field.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It describes the direction and strength of the force that would be exerted on another charged particle placed in that field.

How is the electric field of a lead atom calculated?

The electric field of a lead atom can be calculated by dividing the electric force acting on the atom by its charge. This can be expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the electric force, and q is the charge of the atom.

What factors affect the electric field of a lead atom?

The electric field of a lead atom is affected by the charge of the atom, the distance from the atom, and the presence of other charged particles or objects in the surrounding space. It can also be affected by the orientation of the atom's electron cloud.

How does the electric field of a lead atom interact with other atoms or particles?

The electric field of a lead atom can interact with other charged particles or objects in its vicinity. If the electric field of another charged particle is strong enough, it can cause the electrons within the lead atom to move, resulting in a change in the atom's charge and its electric field.

Can the electric field of a lead atom be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of a lead atom can be manipulated by changing the charge of the atom or by altering the surrounding electric field. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying an external electric field or by changing the temperature or pressure of the environment.