1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of metal

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sealed metal can is placed in a uniform external electric field of 10 N/C . The field points along the +x direction. The can is 20cm in length and 10cm in diameter. What's the value of the electric field at the center of the can?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i'm pretty sure this has something to do with Gauss' law but I'm not sure how to relate electric flux back to electric field magnitude especially without a charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't the metal can act as a Faraday cage?

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    i honestly have no clue what that is, i don't think we have gone over that yet.

i was just assuming this was a gaussian surface of some kind maybe because it's enclosed?

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4
    i honestly have no clue what that is, i don't think we have gone over that yet.

i was just assuming this was a gaussian surface of some kind maybe because it's enclosed?

6. Jun 7, 2014 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In an electrostatic situation, the electric field inside a conductor material is always zero. Because if there were a nonzero field, electric current would be induced and it would not be a static situation. The same applies if the conducting object is hollow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted