1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of tape

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A strip of magic tape 1 cm by 20 cm is charged uniformly with a net charge of -45 nC. The tape is stuck onto a table. Find the electric field 3.5 cm above the centerline of the tape, at the right hand edge. You may need to write a computer program to evaluate the field.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically, I think i can find the magnitude of the electric force by finding the electric field of a line of charge and integrating over the length of the tape, but I don't know how to split this up into components.

Any help would be appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    Not sure what components you have in mind. Electric field is a vector, so it has three components. In this case, those might be the vertical component, the length-wise component. and the width-wise component. You just need to write the equation of the electric field at a the right-most point at the center-line caused by a point charge somewhere in the strip, the integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook