1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field On Charged Cylinder

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    I need to find the electric field at all values of radius for an infintely long cylinder of charge. It's in insulator of radius R, and has a volume charge density
    [tex]\rho = \rho_{0}(\frac{r}{R})[/tex] while r<R.

I need to find the electric field at all points first off. I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this. I have gauss's law, but I'm not sure how to go about applying it in this case.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    I would start with the integral form of Gauss's law.
    [tex] \oint_S \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{A} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\varepsilon_0} [/tex]

In this case your [itex] Q_{enc} [/itex] will be a function of r, and can be found using the volume integral in cylindrical coordinates

[tex]Q_{enc}= \int \rho d\tau = \int \rho r dr d\theta dz[/tex]

and integrating the radius from 0 to r (since you want an expression that will work for any r). I would definitely use cylindrical coordinates and just integrate in the z direction from 0 to some length l (the z length will cancel out later).

For the left hand side of Gauss's law you want to use a cylindrical Gaussian surface so that the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface. In this case [tex] \oint_S \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{A} = |E|A \hat{r}[/tex] where A is the area of the of the cylinder (again just use the variable l for the length in this area). After doing the integral to find [itex] Q_{enc}(r) [/itex] you should be able to equate the two sides and solve for E(r) for r<R. When r>R you need to think about what [itex] Q_{enc} [/itex] will be, but I think you have plenty here to start the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook