Where to Place a Negative Charge for Zero Electric Field at the Origin?

In summary, to find the location of a negative 60 uC charge that would produce a net electric field of zero at the origin, you would need to use the principle of superposition and add the fields from each individual charge. This would require rearranging the equation Fe=Ke((q1*q2)/r^2) and considering the location of the 40 uC charge.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A 40 uC charge is placed on x-axis at x=4cm. Where should a negative 60 uC charge be placed to produce a net electric field of zero at the origin?

Homework Equations

Fe=Ke((q1*q2)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging this equation to solve for r

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. The idea is that there are two charges, the 40 uC charge is at a particular location, you need to figure out where another one must be placed to make the net field zero at the origin.

How do you find the electric field resulting from two charges?

Conceptually, around where would you guess the other charge should be placed?

Well I know it has to be located further to the right.

To find the Electric field from 2 charges... it wouldn't be as simple as using the equation E=Ke(q/r^2)?

Bearbull24.5 said:
Well I know it has to be located further to the right.
Totally.

Bearbull24.5 said:
To find the Electric field from 2 charges... it wouldn't be as simple as using the equation E=Ke(q/r^2)?
Not quite. That's the field due to a single point charge. Electric fields obey the principle of 'superposition,' however. To find the net field, you simply add the fields from each individual charge.
Formally:
[tex]
E_{net} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} E_i
[/tex]
for n charges

, but I am not sure how to take into account the fact that the electric field at the origin should be zero. I think I need to use the principle of superposition to find the distance from the origin where the negative 60 uC charge should be placed. Since the electric field at the origin is the sum of the fields produced by both charges, I can set up the equation:

0 = Ke(40*10^-6*-60*10^-6)/r^2 + Ke(60*10^-6*-60*10^-6)/(r-x)^2

Simplifying this equation, I get:

0 = (2400*10^-12)/r^2 + (3600*10^-12)/(r-x)^2

I am not sure how to solve this equation for r, but I can make some observations. Since both terms on the right side of the equation are positive, the only way for the sum to equal zero is if one term is positive and the other is negative. This means that r and (r-x) must have opposite signs. Also, the larger the value of r, the smaller the value of (r-x), and vice versa. This means that the negative 60 uC charge should be placed closer to the origin than the positive 40 uC charge.

To solve for r, I can set the two terms on the right side of the equation equal to each other and solve for r. This will give me the distance from the origin where the negative 60 uC charge should be placed. However, I am not sure if this is the most efficient or accurate method to use. I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on my approach.

What is an electric field on the x axis?

An electric field on the x axis is a measure of the strength and direction of the force exerted on a positive charge placed at a specific point on the x axis. It is represented by a vector quantity and is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is the electric field on the x axis calculated?

The electric field on the x axis is calculated using the formula E = kq/x^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and x is the distance from the charge to the point on the x axis. This formula applies to point charges on the x axis and for continuous distributions of charge, the electric field can be calculated using integration.

What factors affect the electric field on the x axis?

The magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge to the point on the x axis, and the medium in which the charge is located all affect the electric field on the x axis. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the vicinity can also influence the electric field.

How does the direction of the electric field on the x axis relate to the direction of the force on a positive charge?

The direction of the electric field on the x axis is the same as the direction of the force exerted on a positive charge. This means that a positive charge placed on the x axis will experience a force in the same direction as the electric field.

Why is it important to study the electric field on the x axis?

Studying the electric field on the x axis allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in this specific orientation. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, such as electronics, electromagnetism, and plasma physics.