Finding Electric Field over a Ring: Why Derivative Instead of Integral?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the electric field over a ring. The main question is why the derivative of the electric field equation is taken instead of the integral. The conversation also involves solving a specific problem and clarifying the use of the hypotenuse in the equation. It is determined that the hypotenuse does not represent the correct length and that only the component perpendicular to the plane of the ring should be integrated.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

Why is it that if you want to find an electric field over a ring, you take the derivative of the E equation (kq/r^2)? Like, here's an example.

"A 0.5 microcoloumb charge is distributed ona ring of radius 3cm. Find the electric field on the xis of the ring at 1cm, 2 cm, 3cm, etc."

Why is it that you have to take the derivative of the electric field equation instead of, like, the integral or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to integrate to get the field. What makes you think that phrase implies taking a derivative?

Well, taking the derivative was what got me the answer. Let me do the problem for 1 cm

E=kq/r^2, right, and since it's a ring, we'd have to change r into (x^2+r^2)^(1/2) to get the hypotenuse between the radius r of the ring and the distance which we want to find the electrical field.

So derivatating the dquation ke*q/(x^2+r^2)^(1/2) would get me -ke*q*x/(x^2+r^2)^(3/2).

Plugging in the numbers would be (8.99x10^9)(.5mC)(1cm)/(1cm^2+3cm^2)^(3/2), which would ultimately get me the answer (at least the one that I saw in my book).

Of course, I still don't know why I derivatate the equation.

dE=k*dq/(r^2+x^2), ok, that's the length of dE vector. But you only want the component perpendicular to the plane of the ring since the horizontal will cancel when integrated. So you need to multiply that by a trig function. What is it? See, no differentiations. What you did above is turn r^2 into (r^2+x^2)^(1/2) (how?) and then differentiate incorrectly.

Hmm...it's a bit unclear without a picture, sorry.

The reason I turned r^2 into (r^2+x^2)^1/2 is because the radius of the circle and the x would make two sides of a triangle. The two lines woudl meet at the center of the circle, and I just drew the hypotenuse joining the two lines at their opposite ends. Hence, the hypotenuse would be (x^2+r^2)^(1/2).

Thus, it was that line that I was using in place of the r. You know...the slope along the radius.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ElectricForce/gifs/Axis-of-Loop00.gif

Here's a kind of good picture I found. Mine is like this one, except without the blue part at the end. That's how I was finding my r.

EDIT: This isn't my problem btw...just a pic I found on Google search that looks kind of like my own

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's the length of the hypotenuse. But E field is proportional to 1/length^2 - not 1/length.

Exactly the right picture. Notice that when you integrate dE that the dE_perp parts cancel, so you only want to integrate dE_x.

What is an electric field over a ring?

An electric field over a ring refers to the distribution of electric charge around a circular ring-shaped object. It is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric force that would be experienced by a charged particle placed at any point in space around the ring.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field over a ring?

The strength of the electric field over a ring is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the ring, the radius of the ring, and the distance from the ring to the point at which the electric field is being measured. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the charge on the ring.

How is the electric field over a ring calculated?

The electric field over a ring can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the product of the charge and the distance from the point to the charge, divided by the square of the distance between the two points. This calculation takes into account the factors that affect the strength of the electric field.

What are some real-life applications of the electric field over a ring?

The electric field over a ring has many practical applications, including in electromagnets, particle accelerators, and electric motors. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in the design of electronic devices.

What is the relationship between the electric field over a ring and the electric potential?

The electric field over a ring is related to the electric potential in that the electric potential at a point is equal to the negative of the integral of the electric field over a path from that point to a reference point. In other words, the electric potential is a measure of the work done by the electric field in moving a unit charge from the reference point to the point in question.