Electric Field perpendicular to surface

In summary, according to the physics text, the electric field has to emerge perpendicular from the surface. This is true because the surface at equipotential takes no work to move along. However, if there is a charge outside the body, the electric field will be distorted due to the presence of the charge.
Cyrus
hello,

Sorry to ask this question again, but I am having a little trouble with it still. I found a pic on a website that should be helpful.

According to my physics text, the electric field has to emerge perpendicular from the surface. I can see how this is true. Since the surface is at equipotential, it takes no work to move along the surface. Because it takes no work the change in potential at two points must be zero, and E*dl must be perpendicular at all points. But what does that mean for a charge placed outside the body? In my pic you can see a charged particle outside the body. How would you draw the electric field there? Is the electric field just an extension of the electric field perpendicular at exactly that point out in space? (in my picture i exteneded the blue arrow wher the point charge would project itself onto the surface, and exteded it to reach the point charge, (the dotted brown extension arrow)).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also have a follow up question. Let's say that we have a sphere, but at exactly one point on the sphere the potential is different than everywhere else on the sphere. Then that means the charge at the sphere (the electrons), would move towards that one spot. Obviously, all the electrons can't occupy the space since that area of potential difference is only a point. So would part of the sphere be at one potential and part of the sphere be at a different potential? Is it meaningful to ask a question like this, or is it wrong to say a place of different potentail on a sphere?

Respect to your first question, I think the electric field will be complex but the arrows will curve in such a manner that makes possible a perpendicular entrance of E if the charge is negative. Your question is not trivial because the electric field will be distorsioned owing to the presence of the charge. Maybe I misunderstood your question.

Respect to your second question, I think it has no sense thinking in such potential distribution. Keep in mind the potential would not be derivable at all in that point. If so, the electric field would be infinite at that point. It's impossible to obtain an infinite electric field, therefore your question has no sense.

I hope it can help you a bit.

1. What is an electric field perpendicular to a surface?

An electric field perpendicular to a surface is a type of electric field that is directed at a right angle to the surface. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface and intersect it at right angles.

2. How is the strength of an electric field perpendicular to a surface calculated?

The strength of an electric field perpendicular to a surface is calculated using the formula E = σ/ε0, where E is the electric field strength, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. It is important to note that the strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the surface charge density.

3. What is the significance of an electric field perpendicular to a surface?

An electric field perpendicular to a surface is significant because it is the main factor in determining the behavior of charged particles on the surface. It is also used in various applications such as electrostatic painting, particle accelerators, and electron microscopy.

4. How does the direction of an electric field perpendicular to a surface affect charged particles on the surface?

The direction of an electric field perpendicular to a surface determines the direction in which charged particles will move on the surface. The particles will move along the electric field lines, from areas of high potential to areas of low potential. This movement is known as electric field-induced migration.

5. Can an electric field perpendicular to a surface be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, an electric field perpendicular to a surface can be manipulated or controlled by changing the surface charge density or by using external electric fields. This can be achieved through the use of conductive materials, such as metals, or by applying an external voltage to the surface.