1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field, potential

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical charge distribution is given by

[tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho_0[/tex][tex]\left([/tex]1-(r^2/a^2)) , (r<= a)
    [tex]\rho[/tex] = 0, (r> a)

a) calculate the total charge Q
    b) find the electric field intensity E and the potential V outside the charge distribution
    c) find E and V inside
    d) show that the maximum value of E is at (r/a) = 0.745
    e) the above charge distribution applies roughly to light nuclei. Draw graphs showing [tex]\rho[/tex], E, and V as functions of r/a for calcium (atomic number 20), assuming that [tex]\rho_0[/tex][tex] = 5.0 x 10^25 C/m^2 and a = 4.5 femtometers

2. Relevant equations

[\tex]\oint E.da = Q/\epsilon_0[\tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    \ Guass'a law and other general equations for E and V were used. I do not think I am close to the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    (a) follows from the definition of charge *density*; there is no need to use Gauss's law

(b) and (c) do follow from Gauss' law: choose the right surface and volume, and find E as a function of r. From that, obtain V(r).

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks borwal, yeah that's what i've done. I am not quite sure about d and e, those are my real problems. Listed all the questions just let the entire problem be clearer. thanks for replying :)

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    If you have E as a function of r, it should be rather easy to find its maximum!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?