1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field problem - Plastic Slab

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    Please consider this problem:
    A plastic slab of thickness t has a uniform free charge density, +rho, embedded inside, and also one surface has a surface charge of -sigma. Find the electric fields here and sketch as a function of distance from one surface. Also find the potential as a function of distance, sketch results. [Ignore issues of dielectric polarizability, the function of the plastic is simply to fix the charges in place]

Here is what I did: I draw a Gaussian pillbox with area A. Only the top and bottom caps contribute where E and dA are parallel. The charge enclosed is: (rho)(A)(t) + (-sigma)(A) = A((rho)(t) - sigma)

By Gauss's Law, we have: 2EA = [A((rho)(t) - sigma)] / epsilon, so therefore, E = ((rho)(t) - sigma) / 2epsilon

I'm not sure what I did wrong here since the question asks to plot E as a function of r. In my case I would have a constant line. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2
    Maybe I also have to find the E field within the slab... That answer would depend on r. Any thoughts?

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes. You've found the field outside the slab. The field inside depends on distance from edge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?