Why is the electric field strength not zero at x \gg R?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the electric field strength at a point on the axis of a thin ring with a point charge at its center. The equation for the electric field strength as a function of distance is given, but there is confusion about the x \gg R part of the problem. It is determined that setting R to zero is not a correct approximation and using a Taylor expansion is necessary to find the correct answer. The goal is to help the person understand the concept rather than providing a complete solution.
Saketh
A point charge [itex]q[/itex] is located at the center of a thin ring of radius [itex]R[/itex] with uniformly distributed charge [itex]-q[/itex]. Find the magnitude of the electric field strength vector at the point lying on the axis of the ring at a distance [itex]x[/itex] from its center, if [itex]x \gg R.[/itex]​
I managed to solve the problem to find the electric field strength as a function of x:
[tex]
E(x) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\left [\frac{q}{x^2} - \frac{qx}{(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}\right ][/tex].

However, I'm having some troubles with the [itex]x \gg R[/itex] part of it. I assumed that this meant that [itex]R \rightarrow 0[/itex], and my function, when R was set to zero, became zero. But the answer says
[tex]
E = \frac{3qR^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R}
[/tex]
First of all, I don't understand why the R is still there. Second, I don't understand why letting R go to zero is incorrect. If someone could please clarify why the answer is not zero, but is instead this last expression, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saketh said:
A point charge [itex]q[/itex] is located at the center of a thin ring of radius [itex]R[/itex] with uniformly distributed charge [itex]-q[/itex]. Find the magnitude of the electric field strength vector at the point lying on the axis of the ring at a distance [itex]x[/itex] from its center, if [itex]x \gg R.[/itex]​
I managed to solve the problem to find the electric field strength as a function of x:
[tex]
E(x) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\left [\frac{q}{x^2} - \frac{qx}{(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}\right ][/tex].

However, I'm having some troubles with the [itex]x \gg R[/itex] part of it. I assumed that this meant that [itex]R \rightarrow 0[/itex], and my function, when R was set to zero, became zero. But the answer says
[tex]
E = \frac{3qR^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R}
[/tex]
First of all, I don't understand why the R is still there. Second, I don't understand why letting R go to zero is incorrect. If someone could please clarify why the answer is not zero, but is instead this last expression, I would appreciate it.

It's a question of approximation.
Ina problem like this, you first try letting R completely negligible compared to x and you get zero, as you mentioned. That tells you that you pushed the approximation a bit too much. Because you know the results cannot be *exactly* zero. The two E fields cancel partially but they can't be cancelling *exactly*.

So what you what to do is to use a Taylor approximation.

Consider [tex] {x \over (R^2 + x^2)^{3/2} } [/tex]
What youmust do is to do a Taylor approximation of that for R <<x.
You write this as
[tex]{1 \over x^2} {1 \over (1 + {R^2 \over x^2})^{3/2} } [/tex]
Now Taylor expand this by treating R/x as your small quantity. This gives
[tex]
{1 \over x^2} ( 1 + \ldots) [/tex]

Keeping only the 1 is what you did before but that's not precise enough since it gives a total e field equal to zero (which we know is not correct). So that means that you need the second term in the above expansion. If you include that term, when you will add the two E fields you should get the answer of the book (which is stil an aprroximation since there are other terms in the expansion).

The idea is that you are looking for the first *nonzero* result for the total E field. So if the lowest order approximation (setting R=0 exactly) does not work, you must proceed to the next order.

Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• Irodov_3.10.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 228
-marko- said:
I attached my solution in pdf format. Similar solution you can find on this page http://irodov.nm.ru/3/resh/3_10.gif
I haven't seenyour solution yet but please know that it is highly discouraged to post complete solutions to problems. The goal is not to provide solutions but to help people work out through their problems by giving hints and some steps. The goal is to help people learn, not do their problems for them. Of course, people *may* learn by seeing a complete solution, but that is not the most pedagogical way to get people to understand the physics and maths.

Regards,

Patrick

Okay, I understand now. I never knew that you were supposed to use Taylor expansions for this sort of approximation.

But now I know.

nrqed said:
I haven't seenyour solution yet but please know that it is highly discouraged to post complete solutions to problems. The goal is not to provide solutions but to help people work out through their problems by giving hints and some steps. The goal is to help people learn, not do their problems for them. Of course, people *may* learn by seeing a complete solution, but that is not the most pedagogical way to get people to understand the physics and maths.

Regards,

Patrick

You are absolutely right so please accept my apology.

Regards,

Marko

1. What is an electric field problem?

An electric field problem refers to a situation in which there is a distribution of electric charges and the resulting electric field needs to be calculated or analyzed. This can involve determining the strength and direction of the electric field at a certain point, or finding the electric potential or potential energy associated with the field.

2. How is an electric field problem solved?

An electric field problem is typically solved using equations from electrostatics, such as Coulomb's Law or Gauss's Law. These equations relate the electric field to the distribution of charges and can be used to calculate the field at any point in space. Numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, can also be used to solve more complex electric field problems.

3. What are some real-world applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems have many practical applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Examples include designing and analyzing electronic circuits, developing medical devices that use electric fields for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes, and understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

4. How does the presence of conductors affect electric field problems?

Conductors, such as metals, have the property of conducting electricity and can significantly influence electric field problems. In the presence of conductors, the electric field lines are distorted and the field is stronger near the conductors. Conductors can also shield electric fields, making them useful for protecting sensitive electronic devices from external electric fields.

5. What are some common misconceptions about electric field problems?

One common misconception is that electric fields are the same as electric charges. In reality, electric fields are a property of space and are created by electric charges. Another misconception is that electric fields only exist in the presence of electric charges. In fact, even in empty space, there is an electric field due to the presence of virtual particles. Finally, some people may think that electric fields only exist in wires or circuits, when in fact they exist everywhere and can be created by a variety of sources, including electric charges, magnets, and changing magnetic fields.