1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field problem

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    Hey ppl! anyone who can help me with this i will be so grateful! ive been stuck on it for 2 days(dumbarse:grumpy: ) thx!

1) A proton orbits a long chared wire, making 1.0x10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.0cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

2) Show that the on axis electic field of a ring of charge has the expected behaviour when z<<R and when z>>R.

The answer to the first questions is -2.29nC/m, but im clueless about how to go about it, i've also tried applying circular kinematics but have not been successful. The second question i am absolutly dumbfounded by. Thx again anyone who helps!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

1) How can you relate the linear charge density and the electric field generated by the wire? (hint: Gauss)

2) Do you know how to (at least in principle) determine the electric field on the axis? (hint: there's no shortcut here)

4. Aug 9, 2006 #3
    tis alright ive solved em both thx anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?