1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Problem

1. May 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A +8·µC charge is located at coordinates (3,5)·m, and a -2·µC charge is located at coordinates (3,-2)·m. Find the electric field at the origin.
    E= ? V/m x + ? V/m y

(It asks for the solution in x and y components)

2. Relevant equations
    I was using E=kq/r^2, where E is the electric field vector (Away if positive, towards if negative) K was 9x10^9, q is the value of the charge.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I used pythagorean theorem to determine distance to origin. Then I used this value for r.
    Using the formula for the +8 charge I get E=2117.61 and for the -2 charge I got E=1376.63. Then I used the trig functions from the triangles to solve for the components, which I thern added together for the wrong answer. Where have I gone wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2
    -2 charge, E=1376.63, it should be negative, or pointing in to the right so when you add the 2 E vectors you will be subtracting them.

I get the same values for E's, just that negative sign, Hope that's the problem!
  4. May 5, 2008 #3
    The angles from the original triangles are used to calculate the components, correct? I was treating the +8 charge as my negative vector as electric fields point outwards from positive charges, right?
  5. May 5, 2008 #4

I think if you use the 8 charge as the negative, you will get the wrong answer, maybe just -1*answer wil fix it but I'm not 100% sure on that.

You should find the 2 vector pointing away, then inverse it so it points inward and then find the x-y components and subtract or add the components.

Also for your -2 charge, I got E=1384.62 not 1376.63
  6. May 6, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Hi negatifzeo,

What components and wrong answer did you get?
  7. May 6, 2008 #6
    I finally got the correct answer, my problem was rounding a bit too much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?