1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field problem

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 4.88E-6 C/m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -2.44E-6 C/m and is parallel to the x-axis at y1 = 0.408 m.

What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point y2 = 0.198 m on the y-axis?

2. Relevant equations

E = kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

E1 = (9E9)(4.88E-6)/(.198)^2
    E2 = (9E9)(-2.44E-6)/(.21)^2

net E = E1 + E2 (both point in the positive y direction), but I'm not getting the right answer. Apparently, my answer is close, but not correct. Can somebody help me to spot my mistake?

Also, I know the problem gave linear charge density, but it didn't say how long the wire was. Maybe that's where my error lies. If so, how do I correct it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One cannot simply take the expression for the electric field of a point charge and apply it to an infinite line charge. Conceptually, to find the electric field do to a line charge one must sum up the contributions from each individual point charge. Since the charge distribution is continuous one does this via an integral rather than a sum.

See this page: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/elelin.html for more information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook