1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field problem

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 positive charges are placed on the why axis. one is at y=+a the other at y=-a. show that the e field where x is much smaller than a is approximately equal to (2kqx)/a^3. The 1st part of the question was to show that the e field = (2kqx/(x^2+a^2)^1.5) I did that part already so we can just use that equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    okay so, using the equation (2kqx/(x^2+a^2)^1.5) to do this part where x is much smaller than a means that x is approaching 0. so shouldn't the whole e field be approx = to 0 instead of like the equation they gave (2kqx)/a^3. where they only got rid of the x at the bottom and not the one at the top?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write the expression x2+a2 in the form a2[1+(x/a)2] If x is much smaller than a its square is even much smaller. For example, x/a = 0.01, then (x/a)2=0.0001. Ignoring it causes 0.01% error only. What you can call "small" depends on the accuracy of a. If it is given with 3 digits, the error of a is greater than the error the approximation brought in.

ehild

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    i don't understand how you got a[1+(x/a)^2] out of the denominator.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My bad... I did not take the power 1.5 into account, and forgot a square. Now I edited my original post. The denominator becomes

[a2(1+(x/a)2]1.5=a3(1+(x/a)2)1.5,
    and the relative error when ignoring x/a is 1.5 (x/a)2.

ehild

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    sorry but I'm still confused why that gives the answer. when you're doing the denominator, you're assuming x approaches 0 right? which gives you the denominator with only a in it. But the answer STILL has x in the numerator. shouldn't what was done in the denominator be also applied to the numerator which gives an answer of 0?

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes there is x in the numerator. As it stands alone (nothing added) you can not compare it to anything and ignoring with respect to. x approaches zero, but is not zero, only very small with respect to a. Assume a=1 and evaluate x/[1+x2]1.5 for x=0.1, 0.01, 0.001. You will get what the approximation means.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook