1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Problem

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    Hey all, I'm not sure where to start on this question. Any ideas would be spectacular.

A tiny conducting ball of mass 1.00 g and charge 20.0 times [tex]10^{-6}[/tex] is hung from a non-conducting, massless thread. The electric field of magnitude [tex]10^3N/C[/tex] existing in this region is uniform and horizontal. Find the maximum angle of deviation between the thread and the vertical for the equilibrium, position of the ball.

So far this is what I have
    For equilibrium sum of all forces must equal 0
    Therefor...
    [tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \ F_{{net}_x}=0 \\
    0=F_{field}-{T_x} \\
    0= ? - T\sin\theta
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \ F_{{net}_y}=0 \\
    0=F_g-{T_y} \\
    0=mg-T\cos\theta
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

I'm not to sure what I do for the force of the electric field and how I encorperate that into the equation.

Thanks Everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
    Your equilibrium conditions are OK:

[tex]F_{field}-Tsin \theta=0[/tex]
    [tex]mg - T cos \theta=0[/tex]

Now you must take into account that [tex]F_{field}=qE[/tex] (electric charge times electric field magnitude). You obtain then (by eliminating T):

[tex]tg \theta = \frac{qE}{mg}[/tex].

4. Mar 20, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your help, I was able to get the problem with the assistance you provided. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?