What determines the curvature of a particle's path in an electric field?

In summary: I think that the terms " increasing the curvature of path" in this question means that the path of the particle become more close to the lower plate...Which would happen for decreasing radius of curvature, which is what I was hinting at. Even if gravity is not negligible, the curvature would not increase with increasing mass (in fact, if q is non-zero, it would decrease). Can you see why?
nikoniko1234
User informed of mandatory use of homework template.
k5284hid176.png

For this question, the ans is A, the ans said that the curvature of the path is determined by the acceleration of the particle.

There is two question I want to ask: 1. Why the curvature of the path is not determined by the force (electric force + weight) acting on the charge instead of it's acceleration?
2. Why option B is not correct? Since it's weight is increased so that the total downward force is increased.

Physics news on Phys.org
The curvature is ultimately dependent on the relation between the acceleration and the velocity. The relation between the radius of curvature and these quantities is R = v^2/a. (Note that infinite radius of curvature corresponds to a straight line.) The force on the particle is related to its acceleration through Newton's second law.

The gravitational force is usually completely negligible on subatomic scales.

Orodruin said:
The curvature is ultimately dependent on the relation between the acceleration and the velocity. The relation between the radius of curvature and these quantities is R = v^2/a. (Note that infinite radius of curvature corresponds to a straight line.) The force on the particle is related to its acceleration through Newton's second law.

Could you explain more please?Base on the options of the question.

Orodruin said:

Sir , is that applicable here ?

And also ,
R = v2/a , so wouldn't increasing q or m decrease R ?

No, you need to provide some effort of working with the equations. For example, how do you obtain the dependence of the radius of curvature on the charge of the particle?

Qwertywerty said:
Sir , does that apply here ?

And also ,
R = v2/a , so wouldn't increasing q or m decrease R ?
If you had read my post properly, you would have seen that large R correspond to almost straight trajectories.

Orodruin said:
If you had read my post properly, you would have seen that large R correspond to almost straight trajectories.

So a higher velocity would mean a larger R right ?

Orodruin said:

I think that the terms " increase the curvature of path" in this question means that the path of the particle become more close to the lower plate...

Which would happen for decreasing radius of curvature, which is what I was hinting at. Even if gravity is not negligible, the curvature would not increase with increasing mass (in fact, if q is non-zero, it would decrease). Can you see why? Hint: How does the movement of a mass in a gravitational field depend on the mass? Do objects with different masses fall with different acceleration?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles. It is represented by a vector at each point in space, indicating the direction and strength of the force.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field at a point is equal to the force between two point charges divided by the product of their charges and the distance between them squared.

3. What are the units of electric field?

The SI unit of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in terms of voltage per meter (V/m).

4. How does the presence of a charged object affect the electric field?

A charged object creates an electric field around itself, which can either attract or repel other charged objects. The strength and direction of the electric field is influenced by the magnitude and sign of the charge on the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields play a crucial role in many technological devices such as electronic circuits, capacitors, and generators. They also have practical applications in everyday life, such as in lightning rods, electrostatic air cleaners, and touchscreens.