1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field problem

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1
    • User informed of mandatory use of homework template.
    k5284hid176.png
    For this question, the ans is A, the ans said that the curvature of the path is determined by the acceleration of the particle.

There is two question I want to ask: 1. Why the curvature of the path is not determined by the force (electric force + weight) acting on the charge instead of it's acceleration?
    2. Why option B is not correct? Since it's weight is increased so that the total downward force is increased.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The curvature is ultimately dependent on the relation between the acceleration and the velocity. The relation between the radius of curvature and these quantities is R = v^2/a. (Note that infinite radius of curvature corresponds to a straight line.) The force on the particle is related to its acceleration through Newton's second law.

The gravitational force is usually completely negligible on subatomic scales.

4. Jul 27, 2015 #3
    Could you explain more please?Base on the options of the question.

5. Jul 27, 2015 #4
    Sir , is that applicable here ?

And also ,
    R = v2/a , so wouldn't increasing q or m decrease R ?

6. Jul 27, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you need to provide some effort of working with the equations. For example, how do you obtain the dependence of the radius of curvature on the charge of the particle?

7. Jul 27, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you had read my post properly, you would have seen that large R correspond to almost straight trajectories.

8. Jul 27, 2015 #7
    So a higher velocity would mean a larger R right ?

9. Jul 27, 2015 #8
    I think that the terms " increase the curvature of path" in this question means that the path of the particle become more close to the lower plate...

10. Jul 27, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which would happen for decreasing radius of curvature, which is what I was hinting at. Even if gravity is not negligible, the curvature would not increase with increasing mass (in fact, if q is non-zero, it would decrease). Can you see why? Hint: How does the movement of a mass in a gravitational field depend on the mass? Do objects with different masses fall with different acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted