Electric field problems literally

In summary, the conversation is discussing two physics problems. The first problem involves calculating the distance between two charged particles in a uniform electric field, while the second problem involves applying Gauss's law to find the charge per unit volume in a specific region with known electric fields. The conversation also includes a step-by-step explanation of solving the first problem, with the only discrepancy being a possible arithmetic error in the final answer.
robert135
There are 2 questions I am totally stuck on.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Problem 1 ----- Uniform electric field problem
A uniform electric field of magnitude 640 N/C exists between 2 parallel plates that are 4.0 cm apart. A proton is released from the positive plate at the same instant an electron is released from the negative plate.

a) Determine the distance from the positive plate at which the two pass each other (ignore the elecric attraction between the proton and electron) b) What if? Repeat part a for a Sodium ion (Na+) and a chloride ion (CI-).
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here is the work I have on this one

accel = qE/m
q = particle charge
E = Electric field charge
m = mass of respective particle
p = proton
e = electron

The equations are similar in nature in a way to the kinematics. I get that. So...

xfp = (qpE/2mp) * t^2
xfp = (.04m - xfe)
xfe = (qeE/2me) * t^2

Now I get completely lost on the math... 3 equations 3 unknowns, with t being equal in both. Solve for t...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
problem 2 ----- Electric Flux & Gauss Law
In the air over a particular region at an altitude of 500m above the ground the electric field is 120 N/C directed downward. At 600 m above the ground the electric field is 100 N/C downward. What is the average volume charge density in the layer of air between these two elevations? Is it positive or negative?

And in this problem I am just unclear as to which specific concept is being addressed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by robert135
xfp = (qpE/2mp) * t^2
xfp = (.04m - xfe)
xfe = (qeE/2me) * t^2

Now I get completely lost on the math... 3 equations 3 unknowns, with t being equal in both. Solve for t...
It's a breeze. You have three equations. Plug the first and third into your second one. Then you can solve for t. Etc.
problem 2 ----- Electric Flux & Gauss Law

And in this problem I am just unclear as to which specific concept is being addressed!
Consider a gaussian surface in the shape of a box (say) with the top at 600m and the bottom at 500m. You know the fields, so apply Gauss's law to find the charge per unit volume. (Use an arbitrary area, A, for your gaussian box.) If you don't know what I'm talking about, look up Gauss's Law.

Here is a step by step of what I did to get an answer, but it doesn't match the answer in the back of the book which is 21.8*10^-6 m.

So I pluged it in

((qpE/2mp) * t^2) = .04 - ((qeE/2me) * t^2)

THEN added the right accel to both sides

((qpE/2mp) * t^2) + ((qeE/2me) * t^2) = .04

take out common factor of t^2

(t^2)* ((qpE/2mp) + (qeE/2me)) = .04

t^2 = (.04) / ((qpE/2mp) + (qeE/2me))

Then use the time to put back into the xfp formula to see what the distance is at the time they cross.

xfp = 1/2 * accel of proton * t^2

any idea where I went wrong?

Originally posted by robert135
Here is a step by step of what I did to get an answer, but it doesn't match the answer in the back of the book which is 21.8*10^-6 m.
any idea where I went wrong?
I see nothing wrong in your method. My answer agrees with the book's, so I suspect you made an arithmetic error. A suggestion: don't plug in numbers until the latest possible second. (The final expression for Xp depends only on the ratio of the masses, not on E.)

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a type of force field that surrounds electrically charged particles or objects. It is created by the interaction between positive and negative charges and is responsible for the movement of charged particles.

How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force applied to the charged particle, and q is the magnitude of the charge of the particle. The unit of electric field strength is volts per meter (V/m).

What are some common problems involving electric fields?

Some common problems involving electric fields include determining the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a specific point, calculating the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric field, and finding the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field represents the force that a charged particle would experience when placed in that field, while electric potential represents the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In simpler terms, electric field is a vector quantity that shows the direction and magnitude of the force, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

How are electric fields used in real-world applications?

Electric fields have numerous real-world applications, including in electronics, power generation, and medical imaging. They are used in devices such as capacitors, transformers, and generators, and play a crucial role in powering our homes and cities. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and PET scans to create detailed images of the human body.