1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field problems

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    I need help getting started on a few questions. If you could just provide the equation I should use then I would be very thankful.

1. A point charge of 2Q is a distance L from a point charge of -Q. What is the electric field at Point P a distance L abouve the center of the 2 charges. Picture below:
    <...........>P
    <...........>|
    <...........>|
    2Q______L______-Q

2. What would the force be on a -Q charge placed at the point a distance L above the center of the charges in the problem above.

3. What is the electric field a distance of 0.5 meters above an infinite plain of charge density 25C/m^2

4. If the center of a flat plate wish a radius of 5cm is placed at an angle of π /3 radians, 1 meter above the infinite plain from the previous problem, then what would be the flux through the plate?

5. What would be the electric field a distance R away from an infinite wire with a charge density of λ

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi kmjones26! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

1. Electric field is a vector, so find the two vectors at P from the two charges, and add the components.

2. Force = charge times electric field (F = qE). :wink:

Show us what you get. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook