Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field proton wire problem

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    Hey ppl! anyone who can help me with this i will be so grateful! ive been stuck on it for 2 days(dumbarse:grumpy: ) thx!

1) A proton orbits a long chared wire, making 1.0x10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.0cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

2) Show that the on axis electic field of a ring of charge has the expected behaviour when z<<R and when z>>R.

The answer to the first questions is -2.29nC/m, but im clueless about how to go about it, i've also tried applying circular kinematics but have not been successful. The second question i am absolutly dumbfounded by. Thx again anyone who helps!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

1) How can you relate the linear charge density and the electric field generated by the wire? (hint: Gauss)

2) Do you know how to (at least in principle) determine the electric field on the axis? (hint: there's no shortcut here)

4. Aug 9, 2006 #3
    tis alright ive solved em both thx anyway

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook