How can you make the substitution s = rθ when θ changes with every element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the electric field at the center of a rod shaped in a semicircle. The main question is how can one use the substitution ##s = r\theta## when θ changes with each element dx. The expert explains that this is possible by taking differences of both sides and breaking up the segment into non-overlapping parts before summing them up. The expert also clarifies that there is no assumption that θ is constant with respect to the x-coordinate of the end of the radius.
oneplusone
When doing problems such as finding the electric field of an object, my book often makes substations like: ## dq = \lambda dr = \lambda d\theta\cdot r## (this is in reference to finding the electric field at the center of a rod shaped in a semicircle). See attached for full solution to this.

My question is, how can you let ##\theta## be the angle from the vertical and still make the ## s = r\theta## substitution?? Wouldn't that give you the length of the semicircle starting from the top, to the angle where you direct it to?
Rephrasing: Wouldn't theta change with every element dx?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 11.17.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 11.17.32 AM.png
    16 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
oneplusone said:
(this is in reference to finding the electric field at the center of a rod shaped in a semicircle). See attached for full solution to this.

It looks like the rod is hollow. The problem with interpreting the full solution is that you haven't given the full statement of the problem and defined what the various variables mean.

Wouldn't that give you the length of the semicircle starting from the top, to the angle where you direct it to?

I think it would.

[itex] s = r \theta [/itex] and the solution uses [itex] ds = r d \theta [/itex]. There is no assumption that [itex] \theta [/itex] is constant wtih respect to the [itex] x [/itex] coordinate of end of the radius.

oneplusone said:
how can you let ##\theta## be the angle from the vertical and still make the ## s = r\theta## substitution??
I don't understand your concern. Θ is s/r by definition, so you can always make that substitution.

But if you're summing up the whole segment, using tiny bits of dx at a time, how do you just get dx?
I understand ##s=r\theta##, but wouldn't ##\theta## get really large eventually and overlap previously summed up segments? Sorry it's very confusing to explain

I don't see dx anywhere in those equations so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Are you perhaps asking a general question about how integration works by summing up an infinite number of infinitesimal segments?

Yes, that is what I'm asking. I understand that, but how do you sum up all of the dx segments using s=r*theta? What is the strategy?

Since s = r θ we can take differences of both sides and get Δs = r Δθ. So, for example, if you would break s up into a finite number of non-overlapping segments and sum them up ##\Sigma \; f \; \Delta s## then that is exactly the same as breaking θ up into the same finite number of segments ##\Sigma \; f \; r\Delta \theta##. Then simply change that finite number of segments into an infinite number of segments and you have ##\int f \; r \; d\theta##. There is no overlapping in s and therefore no overlapping in θ.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field created by electric charges. It describes the force that a positive test charge would experience at any given point in space.

How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C). This represents the force per unit charge that a test charge would experience in the electric field.

What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is directly related to electric field by the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the point and the source charge.

What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by electric charges and exerts a force on other charges. A magnetic field is created by moving charges and exerts a force on other moving charges. Electric fields also have an electric potential, while magnetic fields do not.

How is an electric field represented?

An electric field is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points. The lines are drawn perpendicular to the surface of a charged object and are closer together where the field is stronger.