1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field question

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With the earth's electric field the strength of the field at the earth's surface is 100 V/m.
    Now I think that means 100 volts per vertical meter height. My question is what is the strength of the earth's electric field per meter^2 on horizontal earth's surface?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The units of electric field are V/m, not V/m^2. That doesn't make much sense.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    Sorry, I should probably reword my question. The earth has an electric charge and is being recharged by lightning strikes through out the world. And I read that the earth is constantly transfering electric charges into the atmosphere. My question is in one square meter of earth's surface how much electric charge or energy flows by that point on average.

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Then you want the surface charge density (coulombs/m^2). Use Gauss's theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?