What is the strength of the earth's electric field

In summary, the Earth's electric field has a strength of 100 V/m at its surface. This means that 100 volts of energy are present per vertical meter height. However, when considering the horizontal surface of the Earth, the units of electric field are V/m^2, not V/m. This does not make sense. The Earth's electric charge is constantly being replenished by lightning strikes, and it transfers electric charges into the atmosphere. To calculate the average amount of electric charge or energy flowing in one square meter of the Earth's surface, use Gauss's theorem to find the surface charge density (coulombs/m^2).
Idea04

Homework Statement

With the Earth's electric field the strength of the field at the Earth's surface is 100 V/m.
Now I think that means 100 volts per vertical meter height. My question is what is the strength of the Earth's electric field per meter^2 on horizontal Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The units of electric field are V/m, not V/m^2. That doesn't make much sense.

Sorry, I should probably reword my question. The Earth has an electric charge and is being recharged by lightning strikes through out the world. And I read that the Earth is constantly transfering electric charges into the atmosphere. My question is in one square meter of Earth's surface how much electric charge or energy flows by that point on average.

Ok. Then you want the surface charge density (coulombs/m^2). Use Gauss's theorem.

1. What is the strength of the earth's electric field?

The strength of the earth's electric field is approximately 100 volts per meter at the surface. However, this value can vary depending on location and atmospheric conditions.

2. How is the strength of the earth's electric field measured?

The strength of the earth's electric field is typically measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the electric potential difference between two points and calculates the electric field strength.

3. What factors affect the strength of the earth's electric field?

The strength of the earth's electric field can be affected by various factors, including the presence of charged particles in the atmosphere, changes in atmospheric pressure, and changes in solar activity.

4. Is the strength of the earth's electric field constant?

No, the strength of the earth's electric field is not constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the time of day and geographic location.

5. How does the earth's electric field affect our daily lives?

The earth's electric field plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as lightning and the aurora borealis. It also affects the behavior of charged particles in our atmosphere, which can impact communication and navigation systems, as well as the health of living organisms.