1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Question

1. Jul 7, 2004 #1
    I need a little guidance in this problem...

Two point charges lie along the y-axis. A charge of q1=-9 mu*C is at y=6.0m, and a charge of q2=-8.0 mu*C is at y=-4.0 m. Locate the point (other than infinity) at which the total electric field is zero.

I made the statement

E1y = -E2y

Ke (q1/(r-4)^2) = Ke (q2/(r+4)^2)
    q1/(r-6)^2 = q2/(r+4)^2

But that makes it very hard to solve for r. Is that equation set up correctly? If so, what is the easiest way, algebraicly, to solve for r.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2004 #2
    I think you have a typo in the equation above. Take the square root of both sides and simplify.
  4. Jul 7, 2004 #3
    I did have a typo....It was supposed to be a 6 instead of a 4 in the first equation.

Let me try this and hopefully I can solve.
  5. Jul 7, 2004 #4
    Okay...so I took the square root of both sides of the equation, but that doesn't seem to get me very far.

I end up with:

sqrt(q1/q2) = (r-6)/(r-4)

And frankly I don't know how to solve for r in this situation. I could use Maple or something, but it seems that this problem shouldn't require that. I think I might have got the initial set up wrong.
  6. Jul 7, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Two problems: (1) another typo, and (2) when you take square roots you better be sure your answer is positive.

Your equation should be: sqrt(q1/q2) = (6-r)/(r+4)
    Start by multiplying both sides by (r+4). It's a simple linear equation.
  7. Jul 7, 2004 #6
    Of course it is. I just had a mental block. I wouldn't have caught the "(6-r)" though. Thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?