The electric force and the gravitational force.

In summary, the strength of an electric field that will balance the weight of a 2.5g plastic sphere charged to -2.9nC can be determined using the equation F=qE, where F is the electric force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field strength. In this case, the net force on the sphere will be zero since it is being balanced, and the value of acceleration can be found using the equation F=ma.
TKstreaker13
What is the strength of an electric field that will balance the weight of a 2.5g plastic sphere that has been charged to -2.9nC ?

I know that F= ma and that E= Kq/r^2 and also that F= Kq1q2/(r^2). I just don't know how to relate an electric field equation using only mass and a charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
TKstreaker13 said:
I know that F= ma
OK. What would 'a' be in this case?
and that E= Kq/r^2 and also that F= Kq1q2/(r^2).
Those are expressions for the field from a point charge and the force between two point charges. You won't need them here. Hint: If the field is E, and the change is q, what's the electric force on the charge?

I just don't know how to relate an electric field equation using only mass and a charge?
What forces act on the plastic sphere? What's the net force?

a= acceleration

and i will need the F=qE equation

if the sphere is being balanced then the net force will be zero?

TKstreaker13 said:
a= acceleration
I meant, what would be the value of the acceleration in this case.

and i will need the F=qE equation
Right. That's the one you need.

if the sphere is being balanced then the net force will be zero?
Exactly. What two forces act on the sphere?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it exerts a force on other charged particles.

2. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is the amount of electric potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in space.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical field that exists in space, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle at a specific point in an electric field.

4. What are some common applications of electric fields?

Electric fields are used in a variety of applications, including electrostatic precipitators for air purification, Van de Graaff generators for creating static electricity, and in the operation of electronic devices such as TVs and computers.

5. How can electric fields be shielded or manipulated?

Electric fields can be shielded by using conductive materials such as metal. They can also be manipulated by using devices such as capacitors or by changing the distance between charged particles.