1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field question

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin, semi-infinite rod with a uniform linear charge density (lambda) (in units of
    C/m) lies along the positive x axis from x = 0 to x = 1; a similar rod lies
    along the positive y axis from y = 0 to y = 1. Calculate the
    electric field at a point in the x-y plane in the first quadrant.

2. Relevant equations
    This is a calc based course. Intergration is required for this problem. If you need a diagram I do have one.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    In this forum you have to show an attempt, so that we can help you where you're stuck.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    This is one question that I am not that sure how to get started with.

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

[tex]d\vec E = \frac{kdQ \vec r}{r^3}[/tex]. What is worth dQ in the case of a straight segment of length dx of the rod?
    Once you have [tex]d\vec E[/tex], you just have to integrate (choosing the appropriate limits of integration) to get [tex]\vec E[/tex].
    I suggest you to start by drawing the situation. Put a point [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] in the first quadrant. Tackle the problem first with the x-axis rod. Calculate the E field due a small element dx of it, then integrate to get the E field (in point [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex]) due to the whole x-axis rod.
    Do the same for the y-axis rod and sum them up. Don't forget that they are vectors.

I hope it helps. Feel free to post any difficulties you encounter.

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5
    ok so I understand that for intergrating the 2 rods you set them up as
    [tex]\int dE1x+dE2x[/tex] and the same for the y component but I am kinda stuck on what is next.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6
    ok so I understand that for intergrating the 2 rods you set them up as
    [tex]\int dE1x+dE2x[/tex] and the same for the y component but I am kinda stuck on what is next.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook