1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field question

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y = 0 and y = a.
    Calculate the x- and y-components of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried integrating but im unsure of what i should be integrating with respect to what, so i dont necessarily need the answers but if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's first look at a somewhat simpler situation.
    Suppose you have a point charge Q/2 at (0, 0), and a point charge Q/2 at (0, a).
    Can you calculate (both components of) the electric field at (x, 0) when x > 0?

Once you solved that, can you do it for n point charges of magnitude Q/n, at positions (0, 0), (0, a/n), (0, 2a/n), ... (0, a) ?

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Alright i got it, thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook