What is the acceleration of a proton in a uniform electric field of 640 N/C?

In summary, a proton with a mass of 1.67x10^-27 accelerates from rest in a uniform electric field of 640 N/C. At a later time, its speed is 1.20x10^6m/s. Using the formula F_{net} = ma and E = \frac{F}{q}, we can find that the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton is 7.57x10^11 m/s^2, with a charge of 1.60x10^-19C.
ballahboy
A proton accelerates from rest in a unifor electric field of 640 N/C. At some later time, its speed is 1.20X10^6m/s. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton.

Hmm.. not sure what formula to use on this one.. can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
ballahboy said:
A proton accelerates from rest in a unifor electric field of 640 N/C. At some later time, its speed is 1.20X10^6m/s. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton.

Hmm.. not sure what formula to use on this one.. can someone help?
You can use the formulae:

[tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]

[tex] E = \frac{F}{q}[/tex]

hmm I am lookin for a right? so what am i suppose to plug in for m and q?
im confused..

ballahboy said:
hmm I am lookin for a right? so what am i suppose to plug in for m and q?
im confused..
m = the mass of a proton
q = the charge of a proton

yeah i got that but its not given in the problem..

Don't you have a data sheet in your book. If not, I can give the values to you.

hmm.. is it m=1.67x10^-27? what is q?

ballahboy said:
hmm.. is it m=1.67x10^-27? what is q?
Yes, and q is [tex] 1.60 \times 10^{-19}C[/tex]

ok thanks a lot! i reallly appreciate it :-D

glad i could help :cool:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its surrounding space. It is represented by a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C). It can also be measured indirectly by using a device called an electric field meter.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude and distance of the electric charges creating the field. It is also influenced by the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different levels of electrical conductivity.

4. How does an electric field interact with electric charges?

Electric charges within an electric field experience a force known as the electric force. This force can either attract or repel charges depending on the sign of the charge and the direction of the electric field.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

While electric field describes the force that a charge experiences in an electric field, electric potential describes the amount of potential energy that a charge has in a given location in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is the amount of work that would be required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field.