What is the electric field between two charged particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an electric field at a specific distance between two charged particles. The formula for finding the electric field is mentioned, as well as the importance of knowing the permittivity of free space. The individual is seeking help in understanding and solving the problem for a test.
ajc9387
Hum. Confused.

Two charges -4.0mC and -5.0mC are separated by a distance of 20cm. What is the electric field halfway between the charges?

Coulombe's law only tells me the force on a particle next to another one. I don't know the formula for calculating an electric field, let alone what it equals halfway between two charged particles. any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look guys, this isn't homework and I am not asking anyone to do it for me. Its just in the review for a huge test (the final) tomorrow and i can't remember back to when we studied it. If someone could even just give me the equation so i could solve it myself id be most grateful.

Electric field = Force / Charge

The electric field at distance r, in this case 0.1 m, from charge Q is:

Q / (4pi*E0*r^2)

where E0 is the permitivity of free space. In your case, you will need to find this for both values of Q and add them together.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a source of electric charge, such as a charged particle or an electrically charged object. The strength of an electric field is determined by the amount and distribution of the charges creating it.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In simpler terms, the electric field tells you how much force a charged particle will experience, while the electric potential tells you how much energy it has.

4. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C). It can be measured using specialized equipment such as an electric field meter or by calculating the force experienced by a test charge placed in the field.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and electrostatic precipitators. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in telecommunications systems, such as cell phones and radios.