1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electric field screening

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    Can anyone explain in simple terms what the term screening means? My intuition is that a metal is a good screener because in the presence of an external electric field its free electrons will rearrange themselves such that the electric field is zero inside the metal.
    But I am having a hard time coupling my intuition to something my teacher said the other day. He said that the screening properties are related to the permitivity of the material and that ε=∞ is a perfect screener. Can anyone help me draw the connection?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

bear in mind that ##\epsilon## is in the denominator in the expression for the electric field strength ....
  4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    Hey man I think you mean to say "shielding effect" !!
    Not screening
    Or both might be same !!
  5. Sep 23, 2016 #4
    U might be knowing that a dielectric with relative permittivity e when kept in an electric field E develops an electric field E/e inside it
    So for metals e = infinite
    If not we should have electric currents flowing inside the metal ! But doesn't happen right ??!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted