Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electric field screening

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    Can anyone explain in simple terms what the term screening means? My intuition is that a metal is a good screener because in the presence of an external electric field its free electrons will rearrange themselves such that the electric field is zero inside the metal.
    But I am having a hard time coupling my intuition to something my teacher said the other day. He said that the screening properties are related to the permitivity of the material and that ε=∞ is a perfect screener. Can anyone help me draw the connection?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    bear in mind that ##\epsilon## is in the denominator in the expression for the electric field strength ....

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    Hey man I think you mean to say "shielding effect" !!
    Not screening
    Or both might be same !!

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4
    U might be knowing that a dielectric with relative permittivity e when kept in an electric field E develops an electric field E/e inside it
    So for metals e = infinite
    If not we should have electric currents flowing inside the metal ! But doesn't happen right ??!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted