1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength due to two point charges

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    Given are two charges +1 X 10^-6 and one 3 X 10 ^ -6 distnace of 10 cm apart

I know there is a poitn in between these two and it is 4 cm from the 1.0 X 10^-6 charge

But i am asked to plot the elctric field strength as a function
    if the elctric field is pointing right, then positive, otherwise if poitning left, then negative

Let what happens on the outside of these two charges be, i can figure that on my own

But what happen in the middle

Point at 4 cm and rises after??

(+)------------- (+)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

3.66 cm, you mean? (It is not 4.00 cm for sure so I assume you rounded off)

I hope you only have to roughly sketch the result because it's not a simple function to draw at all. But it starts at + infinity near the left charge, decreases sharply, crosses into the negative values as you pass the 3.66 cm mark (assuming the left charge is the 1 microcoulomb), goes down and approaches -infinity near the right charge.

Unfortunately, I have to leave (it's midnight here and I am still in my office. And I am teaching tomorrow at 8h30!).

Good luck with your questions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?