Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field strength due to two point charges

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    Given are two charges +1 X 10^-6 and one 3 X 10 ^ -6 distnace of 10 cm apart

I know there is a poitn in between these two and it is 4 cm from the 1.0 X 10^-6 charge

But i am asked to plot the elctric field strength as a function
    if the elctric field is pointing right, then positive, otherwise if poitning left, then negative

Let what happens on the outside of these two charges be, i can figure that on my own

But what happen in the middle

Point at 4 cm and rises after??

(+)------------- (+)

Negative

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

3.66 cm, you mean? (It is not 4.00 cm for sure so I assume you rounded off)

I hope you only have to roughly sketch the result because it's not a simple function to draw at all. But it starts at + infinity near the left charge, decreases sharply, crosses into the negative values as you pass the 3.66 cm mark (assuming the left charge is the 1 microcoulomb), goes down and approaches -infinity near the right charge.

Unfortunately, I have to leave (it's midnight here and I am still in my office. And I am teaching tomorrow at 8h30!).

Good luck with your questions!

Pat

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook